Graphics
Asus R9 280x 3GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello guys, first post here. After some work I managed to install successfully Mavericks, which is fully working after the post installation routine.
I decided to install Windows 8 too for gaming, so I formatted to NTFS a separate 1tb internal hd and tried booting from the installer DVD.

When Chimera shows up, it sees both the NTFS (still empty) and Mavericks drives, but the dvd reader option doesn't show.
So I tried setting the boot priority in the BIOS (I have a Gigabyte Z87 DH3) to get the dvd reader run before anything. It didn't work since on the startup it showed me Chimera with the usual Mavericks and NTFS drives, but no DVD, and when I run the BIOS again, the boot priority is back as it was before.
Now, this is strange: I DON'T KNOW HOW, one of the dozens times I rebooted trying to get it to work, it DID! I don't remember what I did, and can't replicate it now. But the installer booted from the DVD and installed Windows 8 on the drive.

My problem shows up now: on the Chimera boot, now selecting the NTFS (windows installed) drive just shows me error 0xc000000e (/boot/bcd is deleted or damaged) and, AGAIN, I can't boot from DVD to repair the installation. Fun thing is, if I press F12 to get to boot option without Chimera and select "Windows Boot Manager", it actually works, and Windows 8 boot perfectly.

What can I do to fix the error from the DVD (which I can't boot from right now)? How can I prevent Chimera from override every boot priority I set in the BIOS?
Sorry for my poor english, thanks in advance

Hello guys, first post here. After some work I managed to install successfully Mavericks, which is fully working after the post installation routine.
I decided to install Windows 8 too for gaming, so I formatted to NTFS a separate 1tb internal hd and tried booting from the installer DVD.

When Chimera shows up, it sees both the NTFS (still empty) and Mavericks drives, but the dvd reader option doesn't show.
So I tried setting the boot priority in the BIOS (I have a Gigabyte Z87 DH3) to get the dvd reader run before anything. It didn't work since on the startup it showed me Chimera with the usual Mavericks and NTFS drives, but no DVD, and when I run the BIOS again, the boot priority is back as it was before.
Now, this is strange: I DON'T KNOW HOW, one of the dozens times I rebooted trying to get it to work, it DID! I don't remember what I did, and can't replicate it now. But the installer booted from the DVD and installed Windows 8 on the drive.

My problem shows up now: on the Chimera boot, now selecting the NTFS (windows installed) drive just shows me error 0xc000000e (/boot/bcd is deleted or damaged) and, AGAIN, I can't boot from DVD to repair the installation. Fun thing is, if I press F12 to get to boot option without Chimera and select "Windows Boot Manager", it actually works, and Windows 8 boot perfectly.

What can I do to fix the error from the DVD (which I can't boot from right now)? How can I prevent Chimera from override every boot priority I set in the BIOS?
Sorry for my poor english, thanks in advance

Disconnect the OS X drive before attempting to install Win7/8 - ALWAYS. This keeps an unsuccesfull Win7/8 install from putting its boot files on your OS X HDD/SSD. Also, make sure you istall Win7/8 as legacy boot and not EFI boot if you expect Chimera/Chameleon to boot it.
Check the guide (it is a sticky) on dual booting ML and Win8 in this forum - Mavericks and ML work the same.

Thanks for your input Going Bald. Is there anything I can do without having to reinstall the whole windows system from the beginning? How can I check which kind of installation I've done (EFI or Legacy) ? And one last question: how do I boot from a DVD, given the situation I described in the first post?

If it can help, this is a screen from my drive's situation. I'm a noob in the field but it seems to me that there is no EFI on the NTFS drive. Could I have installed it right (without even knowing it) ?

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 192
If it can help, this is a screen from my drive's situation. I'm a noob in the field but it seems to me that there is no EFI on the NTFS drive. Could I have installed it right (without even knowing it) ?

Well, the Windows disk is definitely installed legact boot - only 1 partition on the disk and no EFI 200Mb partition + System reserved partition in front of the NTFS on the drive is the giveaway.

Revenge of the Sith won't install Windows, though :lol:

For right now, what happens with the ODD tray empty and the OS X drive listed as first in the HDD boot order in BIOS? Boots straight to OS X after the green timeout bar runs out?

What happens when you disconnect the OS X HDD and make the Windows drive first in HDD boot order in BIOS and you boot with the ODD tray empty?

We are looking for the Windows boot files in case you were wondering why the questions on "What happens if....?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back