Graphics
on board
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
my intended machine doesn't have a cd drive in it ATM ...
I have two usb sticks, a 2gb for the iBoot, using UNetBootin
but it just loops a blue page with a default option
i have the Snow Leopard restored onto a 16Gb usb stick (hour and 3/4, z z z z )

should i be able to tweak something to get it to boot the 2gb and load the 16gb ?
/sda /sdb ?

marhleet said:

should i be able to tweak something to get it to boot the 2gb and load the 16gb ?
/sda /sdb ?

We're currently developing an iBoot USB option. I'll make a blog post when it's tested and ready. ;)

'twould be good
as i left a cpl of the steps out of making the usb stick bootable
and i left the dvd with my niece to use on her laptop

That's great news Tony, that would be the best solution. Even better, if you would be able to create an iboot installer, so that we can integrate this with a snow leopard retail install disk restored to an usb drive!

I gues I'll wait a little bit longer, instead of installing a cdrom.

marhleet said:

/sda /sdb ?

Try getting it to work, just plug (the SL drive) in to the same slot the iBoot USB was in, and it should work, according to what I have been told by Tony.

Tom

uRabbit said:
I rather like the boot CD method. :)

I agree with that, I think the DVD drive will not get outdated before DVDs become more expensive then flash drives, but if someone wants to jump onto the holographic bandwagon, I'll let them jump.

Tom

I have an old DVD drive that is so slow I decided to run iboot from the DVD drive and the OSX install image from a USB.

I don't exactly know what the issue is but my guess is iboot does not have proper USB drivers. Everything was usb 1.1 speed originally. However, I installed the magic hat thinngy. A youtube video tutorial of it can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TapQwH4llBw&hd=1

After installing OSX I can update to 10.6.4 vanilla, then run multibeast and everything runs flawlessly. :thumbup:

As a personal request getting iboot to work 100% from usb, or at very least allow for proper install osx image from USB would be excellent. :mrgreen:

To get SL installed from usb, I used these commands:

EHCIacquire=no UHCIreset=no

I also wish it were easier to boot the iBoot from USB though. I think its possible if you format the stick as hfs, set it as active in the mbr and then install chameleon to it. Similar to what Tony's guide shows you for booting from EFI. Turns out its not quite that easy. Installing chameleon on your USB drive isnt hard, but if you want to boot from DVD drive after booting into chameleon, the drive won't show up. Apparently Chameleon lacks a driver that is needed for it to be able to access the DVD drive as a boot device unless Chameleon is booted from that device.

-AC3

I was able to boot from my SL USB Install, but the process was extremely slow. Did anyone else experience results like this? Clicking the OK button to select English as my preferred language took at least 1 minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back