Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Today I attempted to update to 10.14.4 (from 10.14.3). When I ran the update, it rebooted several times and now I cannot get it to boot into the main MacOS boot drive at all. I am actually not sure which drive that the Update should reboot into during the update (Install or Preboot??), so this might have been done incorrectly, and that may be the issue.

Which is the correct drive to reboot into during updates? Some info said that Clover would pick the right drive upon reboot during the update process, but on mine, it kept booting into the regular MacOS drive. Regardess, my system will not boot now.

I did backup my 10.14.3 drive before the update attempt, thankfully, but I would like to see if there is a was to correct or successfully reinstall the update without having to restore to 10.14.3 without the back up.

Please help! Thanks!

There are: Mac OS Install,Preboot Install,Preboot and Recovery.
Pick MacOS Install, will reboot 3 times.

OK. I restored my backup of 10.14.3 and ran the App Store updater again. I chose "Mac OS Install" partition on 3 reboots, and on the 3rd reboot to Mac OS Install, the Apple screen shows some slow progress, but then the screen goes blank and the monitor shuts off (computer still running, but it looks to be in a stalled state, but I am not sure). I waited a while, but never got any feedback from the display, so I rebooted again into Mac OS Install. Same blank screen after a while. So, I rebooted again into the main Mac OS partition, and it will not boot (some progress on the Apple screen with the progress bar, but the display goes blank and it reboots, but unsuccessfully). The only visual indication I got that it was updating (a little string of text on the Apple screen under a progress bar) was before the first reboot, right after I ran the updater app.

Am I doing something wrong?

Try booting with verbose on and see what you get.

There may be a Clover update required before 10.14.4 update, I went through the update process (without updating Clover) and currently the boot ends up hanging for a while with a few AppleACPICPU timeouts, then I get a black screen and nothing.

Same problem here. Fixed: downloaded the newest Clover boot loader, installed to bootable USB, added newest whatevergreen.kext to "other" on the USB. Rebooted from USB, all working except sound. High Sierra will not boot from this USB.

Try booting with verbose on and see what you get.

There may be a Clover update required before 10.14.4 update, I went through the update process (without updating Clover) and currently the boot ends up hanging for a while with a few AppleACPICPU timeouts, then I get a black screen and nothing.
@tvon & @Salient2018,

Hmmm...I did update to the newest Clover before attempting the update. Newest aptiomemoryfix kext as well. I’ll check on whatevergreen update and boot verbose as well. Then I’ll let you know what happens.

@Salient2018, is there a reason why you booted from a usb in the update?

Thanks!

Reasons to boot from USB:
1) one Hd, 3 partitions - Clover EFI, High Sierra, Mojave.
2) Updated Clover EFI on HD - same problem (black screen). Figured that the update was not clean, therefore installed the newest clover boot to USB, added only Whatevergreen, rebooted - worked.
3) High Sierra will not boot with the newest Clover, therefore I'm booting HS from HD EFI and Mojave from USB.
Sound on Mojave still not working...updated Lilu and AppleHD - no luck so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back