Contribute
Register

boot entry for macOS 13 (Ventura) after upgrading from 10.15 in clover boot loader is not working

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270M-D3H (rev. 1.0)
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
From my current macOS 10.15, I upgraded to macOS 13 (Ventura), I saw 3 entires related to mac:

1) Boot macOS Install from Catalina - Data
2) Boot MacOS Catalina (choosing this is bootable, however it brings me to the existing mac (10.15 catalina)
3) macOS recovery console

My guess the boot entry 1) is supposed to be the one for upgrade. However, after I select it and a gray background screen is shown with a cross circle (Ø) and got stuck.

I was following the steps in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-create-a-macos-ventura-installation-usb.320675/ for clover bootloader.

Does anyone have this similar issue before? I guess I must have missed some important steps or kexts.

Greatly appreciate any helps!

Best regards

From my current macOS 10.15, I upgraded to macOS 13 (Ventura), I saw 3 entires related to mac:

1) Boot macOS Install from Catalina - Data
2) Boot MacOS Catalina (choosing this is bootable, however it brings me to the existing mac (10.15 catalina)
3) macOS recovery console

My guess the boot entry 1) is supposed to be the one for upgrade. However, after I select it and a gray background screen is shown with a cross circle (Ø) and got stuck.

I was following the steps in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-create-a-macos-ventura-installation-usb.320675/ for clover bootloader.

Does anyone have this similar issue before? I guess I must have missed some important steps or kexts.

Greatly appreciate any helps!

Best regards
use opencore instead

Thank you Feartech! Let me try it out this weekend.

Is clover not supported so that we had to use opencore?

Thanks!
Clover is still supported but many have jumped over to opencore

Clover is still supported but many have jumped over to opencore
With clover boot loader, I was able to boot to the original mac os, just not able to see the upgrade entry.

However, with openCore, i keep getting the below error:

[WL :pWLFNV] Err (0x5) @ GV wake-failure
[WL :DT] Err (0x5) @ WL :pWLFNV
EXITBS:START <-- Stuck here

Is it b/c I attempted to run opencore with an existing mac (10.15.7) with clover?
Is there a tool that can covert existing clover to opencore automatically w/o manual operations?

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20240106_145603.jpg
    IMG_20240106_145603.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
With clover boot loader, I was able to boot to the original mac os, just not able to see the upgrade entry.

However, with openCore, i keep getting the below error:

[WL :pWLFNV] Err (0x5) @ GV wake-failure
[WL :DT] Err (0x5) @ WL :pWLFNV
EXITBS:START <-- Stuck here

Is it b/c I attempted to run opencore with an existing mac (10.15.7) with clover?
Is there a tool that can covert existing clover to opencore automatically w/o manual operations?

thanks!
you want to add ResetNvram.efi and make sure it is listed in your config.plist
always reset nvram when making any efi changes

check also your bios settings are also correct, typical example:

Disable:
Fast Boot
Secure Boot
Serial/COM Port
Parallel Port
VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
CSM
Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
Intel SGX
Intel Platform Trust
CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

Enable:
VT-x
Above 4G decoding
Hyper-Threading
Execute Disable Bit
EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB or 128MB
SATA Mode: AHCI

Back