Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> boot.efi error on reboot after successful upgrade Mojave to Catalina, Aorus Pro Wifi, Samsung 970 Nvme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, any help would be appreciated. Upgrade went well, problem though arises after rebooting. I get a "Error: Aborted returned from boot.efi" in verbose. Ended up being able to clone back from an external SSD running 10.15.4. After cloning from the External SSD (10.15.4) to the internal Nvme, I can boot the first time from the Nvme, but after shutdown and/or rebooting, I get that "Error: Aborted returned from boot.efi"

Been trying all kinds of solutions with respects to different versions of Clover 5112 through 5115. Comparing the External SSD and Nvme, they're identical, other than being External SSD vs Nvme. I'm thinking it has something to do with the Nvme and Catalina's new system of separating "Data." Any thoughts? I've attached my EFI folder and respective info. Also, I've read that tonymac is know recommending that kexts to be moved out of Library/Extensions and to place kexts in Clover/Kexts/Other? Any thoughts on what might be causing my boot.efi error issue? Thanks!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 184
  • Boot.efi_Error.jpg
    Boot.efi_Error.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 795
Hi, any help would be appreciated. Upgrade went well, problem though arises after rebooting. I get a "Error: Aborted returned from boot.efi" in verbose. Ended up being able to clone back from an external SSD running 10.15.4. After cloning from the External SSD (10.15.4) to the internal Nvme, I can boot the first time from the Nvme, but after shutdown and/or rebooting, I get that "Error: Aborted returned from boot.efi"

Been trying all kinds of solutions with respects to different versions of Clover 5112 through 5115. Comparing the External SSD and Nvme, they're identical, other than being External SSD vs Nvme. I'm thinking it has something to do with the Nvme and Catalina's new system of separating "Data." Any thoughts? I've attached my EFI folder and respective info. Also, I've read that tonymac is know recommending that kexts to be moved out of Library/Extensions and to place kexts in Clover/Kexts/Other? Any thoughts on what might be causing my boot.efi error issue? Thanks!

Hi there - Give this EFI Folder a try - I edited your config.plist and kexts by removing obsolete drivers and unnecessary kexts also as your board is the same as mine, USB ports are now properly Mapped. This Clover Folder is version 5107, there have been a few bugs with the latest Clover commits so I will leave the decision to you wether you want to update to a newer version. If this EFI Folder works out for you, please tweak the final settings to cater for your personal needs. Good luck.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16 MB · Views: 544
Hi there - Give this EFI Folder a try - I edited your config.plist and kexts by removing obsolete drivers and unnecessary kexts also as your board is the same as mine, USB ports are now properly Mapped. This Clover Folder is version 5107, there have been a few bugs with the latest Clover commits so I will leave the decision to you wether you want to update to a newer version. If this EFI Folder works out for you, please tweak the final settings to cater for your personal needs. Good luck.
esafeddie! you're a life saver! Thank you! Replaced the External SSD EFI folder with your EFI folder. Booted spot on! I compared your config and EFI folder with my old one, seems I had a lot of necessary and antiquated stuff. I previously followed another User's guide who had the same hardware, worked perfectly for Mojave though, apparently not so much with Catalina. Anyhow, thank you so much for your help! Can't thank you enough. I'm going to take a closer look and comparison of your config and EFI vs. the old one I had. Lots of stuff for me to learn from your config. Again...thanks so much!

esafeddie! you're a life saver! Thank you! Replaced the External SSD EFI folder with your EFI folder. Booted spot on! I compared your config and EFI folder with my old one, seems I had a lot of necessary and antiquated stuff. I previously followed another User's guide who had the same hardware, worked perfectly for Mojave though, apparently not so much with Catalina. Anyhow, thank you so much for your help! Can't thank you enough. I'm going to take a closer look and comparison of your config and EFI vs. the old one I had. Lots of stuff for me to learn from your config. Again...thanks so much!

Happy to help my friend - Enjoy :thumbup:

@esafeddie Thanks for providing the info above! I'm super new at this as well and was wondering if you could help me sort through a couple issues I'm having?

Issue #1: Same as above. I can get into the Catalina login screen if I reboot 5+ times... but would like to find a fix.
Issue #2: Apple ID is having issues
Issue #3: (not sure if it is one) but the system is identifying my build as an i9 instead of an i7.. not sure if its a big deal but wanted to check!

Here's my build:
z390 UD
Intel i7 9700k
Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 5700 xt GPU

I've attached my EFI folder here as well. Hope its alright I'm hitting you up on this thread!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• EFI (2).zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 93
@esafeddie Thanks for providing the info above! I'm super new at this as well and was wondering if you could help me sort through a couple issues I'm having?

Issue #1: Same as above. I can get into the Catalina login screen if I reboot 5+ times... but would like to find a fix.
Issue #2: Apple ID is having issues
Issue #3: (not sure if it is one) but the system is identifying my build as an i9 instead of an i7.. not sure if its a big deal but wanted to check!

Here's my build:
z390 UD
Intel i7 9700k
Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 5700 xt GPU

I've attached my EFI folder here as well. Hope its alright I'm hitting you up on this thread!
Thanks in advance!
Hi there - Try the EFI Folder in post 2 on a spare usb drive and then boot off it, you'll have inter your own S/N, ROM, MLB and SmUUD in the config.plist, if it works just copy the folder to the EFI partition to your main drive. Good luck.

@esafeddie I may have spoken too soon! Everything seems to be working except audio. Everything plays and makes noise, but there's a terrible crackling/crunch/popping that happens whenever audio is present. Videos, alert noises, etc. Any idea for a fix here? Thanks again!

@esafeddie I may have spoken too soon! Everything seems to be working except audio. Everything plays and makes noise, but there's a terrible crackling/crunch/popping that happens whenever audio is present. Videos, alert noises, etc. Any idea for a fix here? Thanks again!
Try changing to alcid=7 in config.plist and reboot for change to take place, you may to clean NvRAM as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back