Contribute
Register

BoomR's HTPC Build - i7 2600K - GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 - 8GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
digiboy said:
Did you do anything special to get your drive working? I get this error when I attempt to play a movie through mine: "Valid video device could not be found for playback (-70017).

Are you trying to play a standard DVD? Or a BD? My drive (for standard DVDs) worked for me OoB. For the drive to mound a BD, I had to install Toast, then their BD plugin to get a BD to mount.

Recently I came across a great (and reasonably priced) app called Mac BluRay Player. It actually mounts & plays BDs right out of the box. It also lets you make an archive disk DMG of the BD, letting you review your movie at another time from a file on your hard drive, media server, etc.

Hope this helps!

That's a sweet case. Are the front USB ports 3.0 or 2.0?

bigwh00p said:
That's a sweet case. Are the front USB ports 3.0 or 2.0?

They are 2.0. Maybe the next generation of that case will offer USB 3.0 on the front.
:thumbup:

Node 605, IMO.

If the issues with ZFS filesystems and AFP exports can get resolved properly in the near future I may be able to replace my ReadyNAS and AppleTV with an OS X HTPC. (Isn't Plex awesome, BoomR? The iOS client for it is outstanding.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-09 at 11.06.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-09 at 11.06.33 AM.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 297
inc said:
Node 605, IMO.

If the issues with ZFS filesystems and AFP exports can get resolved properly in the near future I may be able to replace my ReadyNAS and AppleTV with an OS X HTPC. (Isn't Plex awesome, BoomR? The iOS client for it is outstanding.)

Plex TOTALLY rocks - WAY moreso than Boxee/Mac or XMBC/Mac. Much more robust (plus all the iOS support, too!)

Speaking of rocking, so does that Fractal case, my friend!
:headbang:

@BoomR

How do you use audio with this HTPC? Via HDMI or digital out?

Huberer said:
@BoomR

How do you use audio with this HTPC? Via HDMI or digital out?

I'm using the optical output of the mobo into my Sony A/V receiver. I need to do a bit deeper dive into my DSDT. May require an edit to get the HDMI audio working. But for another time... :)

... One good option is the one in my HTPC build - that ASUS ATI Radeon HD6450 card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121439
No fan (so quiet), 1GB memory, works OoB (no extra tweaking required)...

I purchased the ASUS 6450 card to try it out. It doesn't work OOB in Lion. In order to use it, I had to use AtiConfig=Pithecia with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. tonymacx86 also uses the Pithecia definition with his Diamond 6450. The Pithecia definition is also required to run Mt. Lion, too. Unfortunately, I had to use my HD3000 to install Mt. Lion because of Apple's squirrely implementations of the ATI 6000 definitions.

I purchased the ASUS 6450 card to try it out. It doesn't work OOB in Lion. In order to use it, I had to use AtiConfig=Pithecia with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. tonymacx86 also uses the Pithecia definition with his Diamond 6450. The Pithecia definition is also required to run Mt. Lion, too. Unfortunately, I had to use my HD3000 to install Mt. Lion because of Apple's squirrely implementations of the ATI 6000 definitions.

Sorry my friend! I should probably rephrase: The ASUS 6450 card FOR ME work OoB in Lion. After installing the card & rebooting connected via the card's HDMI, I did a GraphicsEnabler=No at Chimera screen, then made sure my plist was also showing the No flag. Reboot & the rest "for me" is all history :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back