Graphics
Nvidia GTX 680
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am having a real hassle with an ASUS P9x79 Pro Motherboard (BIOS: 4607)

The system was booting and running OK until one day I switched the system off as I needed to move it (The system runs for weeks normally as I use it to render my Autodesk Maya projects).

After this it would not switch on and the Motherboard just gave me the hex code of '00', and after contacting ASUS they explained that I had to re flash the BIOs using a USB stick which I did, now the unit boots, but it will not see my previous OSX install, well it sees it, and Chimera Boots, but all I get is the Gray scree with an apple logo and then after 5 minutes a no entry logo appears....

I have tried every combination of the following and always the same...

-x

-x GraphicsEnabler=Yes

-x GraphicsEnabler=No

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

GraphicsEnabler=No

npci=0x2000

npci=0x3000

GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x2000

GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000

GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x3000

GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x3000

GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x2000 cpus=1

GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000 cpus=1

GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x3000 cpus=1

GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x3000 cpus=1

GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x2000 cpus=1 PCIRootUID=0

GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000 cpus=1 PCIRootUID=0

GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x3000 cpus=1 PCIRootUID=0

GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x3000 cpus=1 PCIRootUID=0

GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x2000 cpus=1 PCIRootUID=1

GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000 cpus=1 PCIRootUID=1

GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x3000 cpus=1 PCIRootUID=1

GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x3000 cpus=1 PCIRootUID=1

-f

-f cpus=1

-f cpus=1 npci=0x2000

-f cpus=1 npci=0x3000

-f cpus=1 npci=0x3000 darkwake=0

Basically every combination I can find on this forum and it still will not boot into my old OSX Mavericks!

When I first installed OSX Mavericks from my trusty USB stick I only needed to add ncpi=0x2000, but in this case I have tried all the above and still not got anywhere.

I have tried removing my old GTX-680 ASUS Video card and installing a naff but working NVidia GTS250 to see if this helps and then re-try all the above! and still no joy.

I have also ordered a new Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (Seems to be the best X79 Board that I can find that Gigabyte do), but until this arrives and I can throw this ASUS in the bin, I am trying get this working so I can at least backup my e-mails that are on the system drive.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE SUGGEST ANYTHING!!!!

Chris

I have the P9X79 and nothing. Let me know how that new board works. I want to smash this thing.

I have the P9X79 and nothing. Let me know how that new board works. I want to smash this thing.

Don't blame you, I really hate ASUS lately, would not mind but also there support is totally rubbish here in the UK, at least you can call the local Gigabyte office up and have a chat with someone...

Serves me right though for watch rubbish videos on YouTube that said that the ASUS was a better board for OSX, NEVER buying another ASUS...

Chris

When you flashed the BIOS, did you then set the Optimum defaults, make sure the SATA ports were set for AHCI, etc.?

When you flashed the BIOS, did you then set the Optimum defaults, make sure the SATA ports were set for AHCI, etc.?

Yep, tried this, still no joy, I also tried another motherboard that a friend had that is the same make and model, much earlier BIOS, and this also would not boot from the old drive.

I have since tried a new drive as well till the new motherboard arrives, and under both of the ASUS boards I have, I can get it to install mavericks to a new drive ok using just the npci=0x2000 flag, but on both boards, the newly installed OS will not boot at all, I get the chimera screen, and the grey apple logo, and that's it! Not impressed with ASUS at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back