Graphics
HD6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi to all, i was looking for a blu ray burner in the forum and found several but many of them not available. I found in amazon a new LG, the LGWH12LS38K. This one can reproduce 3D blu ray videos. Is fully working in my Lion installation, the K letter is for "bulk" package. Inside the package only the sata and power cords. To read dvd is really fasssttt. it can read and write dvd ram too as well to burn blu ray even dual layer -50gb- I was lucky and buy it by US$65, in november 25th.

The wiki idea for a database like for hardware is a good idea, but i tried to publish the information there and have no luck editing the post, so sorry if i publish here, hope this information help to someone trying to look for one blu ray drive

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GWAWZA/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Does it Auto Sleep normally and can it Burn?Read ?

ala said:
Does it Auto Sleep normally and can it Burn?Read ?

Yes, auto sleep and schedule sleep works ok and yes can burn and read blu ray

Thanks this would be great for another first timer who is looking for a Bluray player.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Optiarc BD-RW BD5300S reported working 100% as well. Just not my Asus mobo.

alux said:
I found in amazon a new LG, the LGWH12LS38K. This one can reproduce 3D blu ray videos.
Have you tried ripping anything with this drive? What speeds did you get? Does this drive have "riplock" for DVD and Blu-ray movies? I read a few places that most LG drive limit your ripping speed to 2x or 4x.

shawn_ said:
alux said:
I found in amazon a new LG, the LGWH12LS38K. This one can reproduce 3D blu ray videos.
Have you tried ripping anything with this drive? What speeds did you get? Does this drive have "riplock" for DVD and Blu-ray movies? I read a few places that most LG drive limit your ripping speed to 2x or 4x.

i have not do that yet (measuring) i have ripped a few DVD but did not measure anything. how do you measure it?

i can try if tell me how

alux said:
i have not do that yet (measuring) i have ripped a few DVD but did not measure anything. how do you measure it?
i can try if tell me how

I've found an review article which uses a reference Benq 16X DVD drive without riplock which is able to rip a encrypted DVD at about 9.7MB/s here:
http://www.pureoverclock.com/printer.ph ... 67&page=12
I dont know which program they use, but its probably for windows only.

I found the easiest way to measure the raw speed on a mac is to rip a DVD to your hard drive without transcoding it. I used this program to rip Borat (6.8GB Dual Layer) in about 11:40 which is about 9.7MB/s. http://www.macdvdripperpro.com/ and you can rip 5 discs for free with the demo. Make sure to to select the "Main movie only" and the rip time is when the progress meter reaches 100%, i.e. don't include the DVD restructuring time at the end. The Time Left counter is pretty much bang on after it stabilizes after about 20 seconds. There might be other programs that do this better (maybe MakeMKV), but the key is to not transcode/convert because that takes more time and doesn't max out your DVD speed.

shawn_ said:
I used this program to rip Borat (6.8GB Dual Layer) in about 11:40 which is about 9.7MB/s.
Actually the "Main Movie" was only 4.9GB so it ripped at 6.7MB/s. macdvdripper shows the total size of the disk all the time and not the size of the current file so you'll need to check the output file size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back