Contribute
Register

Blank Screen on Boot after Upgrading to Mojave (VEGA 64 GPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
was running 10.13.6 perfectly with an AMD VEGA 64. Updated clover to 4700, made sure Lilu, FakeSMC, Hibernationfixup, and whatevergreen kexts where in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other on my boot drive, updated to Mojave from AppStore, lost video on second reboot but since disk activity light was on I waited, finally it rebooted to clover selection screen, booted to macOS on HD and then back to no video, my display is blank. I was able to use chrome Remote Desktop to login and see that there’s a Mojave login screen but can’t do anything beyond that. What am I missing here to reenable video output from my GPU?

was running 10.13.6 perfectly with an AMD VEGA 64. Updated clover to 4700, made sure Lilu, FakeSMC, Hibernationfixup, and whatevergreen kexts where in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other on my boot drive, updated to Mojave from AppStore, lost video on second reboot but since disk activity light was on I waited, finally it rebooted to clover selection screen, booted to macOS on HD and then back to no video, my display is blank. I was able to use chrome Remote Desktop to login and see that there’s a Mojave login screen but can’t do anything beyond that. What am I missing here to reenable video output from my GPU?
  • Try this. It may work or it might not
  • Reboot (force reboot) from the Black screen at the expected login screen.
  • Reach CBM screen
  • Boot Recovery Disk ( not your USB Installer or the System Disk) and reach Utilities screen
  • Don't go to Disk Utility, but choose"Reinstall MacOS" option
  • Choose your target Hard Disk
  • Proceed with installation and hope this time it will succeed.
I base this on a Single instance in one of my Mojave 10.14 installations on a difficult Hardware GA-X79-UP4 and Natively supported Nvidia GT710.

After nearly 2 days of the things you seem to have tried, I just clicked on the Recovery HD and tried a Reinstall and to my pleasant surprise it worked!

Because I don't have the time , I have not tested it on a second Hard disk to reproduce the error and use that as a fix to report as a case of successful troubleshot. I just cloned the system disk as it appeared to be 'precious' to me to not to lose that and wanted an insurance against sudden unexpected hard disk death.

Since you have a desperate situation , you may try and report with images. I have taken photos of the whole situation for late analysis writeup.

Edited to Add one more thing:

Before you force reboot, you may press Win+ALT+Esc to see if you can shut down any screens blocking it . If that does not work , go to Reinstall via Recovery HD.

Last edited:

Posting your EFI seems like the best place to start rather than reinstalling your OS first.

So I finally tried this update again and I can't get video output off of MDP, only HDMI works from the VEGA 64. Any ideas?

Install Whatevergreen & Lilu, normally fixes video card issues. Make sure that you have nothing checked under graphics in clover though I have seen some people say they needed Radeondeinit. You could try SM Mac Pro 6,1 or maybe even the new one for MacMini.

Install Whatevergreen & Lilu, normally fixes video card issues. Make sure that you have nothing checked under graphics in clover though I have seen some people say they needed Radeondeinit. You could try SM Mac Pro 6,1 or maybe even the new one for MacMini.
Ok so I did have injetintel in graphics selected but removing it didn't help. updated whatevergreen and lilu also no change, tried Radeondeinit but no good, finally tried a bunch of SMs imac pro, imac 18,3 and then mac pro 6,1 which is what worked. Up and running, thanks.

Ok so I did have injetintel in graphics selected but removing it didn't help. updated whatevergreen and lilu also no change, tried Radeondeinit but no good, finally tried a bunch of SMs imac pro, imac 18,3 and then mac pro 6,1 which is what worked. Up and running, thanks.

Great to hear what I have found is that all SM for Macs that are Headless so the Mac mini, and Mac Pro lines of Mac's allow all the ports to work on video cards while the iMac SM require Whatevergreen and Lilu to get them all working. I think 18,1 also works cause I had it set up that way before.

Great to hear what I have found is that all SM for Macs that are Headless so the Mac mini, and Mac Pro lines of Mac's allow all the ports to work on video cards while the iMac SM require Whatevergreen and Lilu to get them all working. I think 18,1 also works cause I had it set up that way before.
Makes sense, now i just have to figure out why airdrop, continuity, stopped working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back