Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello all,

i has a system running Ventura 13.4.1 for a year without problems. It is a Lenovo Thinkstation, with Radeon RX 570 as described in my sig.
the last 10 days, randomly, suddenly blanks screen, i can see disk activity (system is on a nvme m.2 KINGSTON SKC3000S1024G), and then stops.
i have to hardware reset (press the power button continously) to get it back.
The only conditions that changed are first the temperature (its summer here) and that i started playing an online browser game called total battle.
If i leave it to dump and stop, next time it boots, asks me to send report to Apple. I have some of them, but i couldn't find a clue.

can someone point me to how can i debug this and find whats wrong ?

this is a doc file with several reports after several boots..

Attachments

• reboot.pdf
    43.3 KB · Views: 38
The common issues in Backtrace shown in your Reboot files are as follows:
  1. com.apple.driver.watchdog - Userspace watchdog timeout: n successful checkins from WindowServer
  2. VirtualSMC.kext v1.3
    1. Dependancy: Lilu.kext (1.6.3)
    2. Dependancy: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily (1.4)
Updating Lilu.kext and VirtualSMC.kext to the latest versions, 1.6.6 and 1.3.2 respectively, might help.

If that doesn't help, post a copy of your OpenCore EFI folder, so we can see what you are using to boot your Haswell system running macOS Ventura.

Just remember to delete/redact the Serial Number from your OpenCore config.plist before you post a copy of your EFI here.

Just remember to delete/redact the Serial Number from your OpenCore config.plist before you post a copy of your EFI here.
i posted it, after deleted the serial number (with a text editor) but someone deleted it.
what did i did wrong ?

You have a few issues in your OC EFI.

You failed to delete/redact your Serial Number from your config.plist before posting a copy here! Why? I have removed your post containing the EFI, but it is probably a bit late.

Now you need to sign out of any Apple Services, Generate a new SMBIOS (MacPro7,1) and setup your system to use the new Serial Number. Otherwise you run the risk of having someone else use your EFI and causing a conflict on the Apple servers, they don't like more than one system using the same Serial Number.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 23.52.54.png This is a view of your OpenCore 0.8.8 EFI folder.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 23.58.55.png This is the EFI folder that I would create.

You can easily see the difference in the Kext folders.

ACPI:
What I would do is use Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script and the System DSDT.aml, to generate a number of custom SSDT's for the system, rather than use the Generic SSDT's provided by Dortania.

Kexts:
You don't need the following kexts, either because they are duplicates, meant for use in an older legacy release of macOS, use on a laptop/Dell system or for use with USB Audio.
  • AppleALCU.kext
  • IntelSnowMausi.kext
  • SMCBatteryManager.kext
  • SMCDellSensors.kext
  • SMCLightSensor.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • USBPorts_orig.kext
  • USBPorts-maybe.kext
Not sure if you need XHCI-unsupported.kext, as USB workings have changed over the last few years and as you have a USBPorts.kext that should be taking care of any XHC controller issues.

I have updated the following kexts to the most recent release - AppleALC.kext, IntelMausi.kext, Lilu.kext, VirtualSMC.kext & Plugins, WhateverGreen.kext & RestrictEvents. NVMeFix is recent enough.

Drivers & Tools:
I have replaced OpenHfsPlus.efi with HfsPlus.efi, as this is a better and faster HFS+ driver.
I have added ResetNvramEntry.efi and ToggleSipEntry.efi to the Drivers folder.
I have removed a number of entries from the Tools folder leaving just the three most commonly used.

All these changes have been incorporated in the config.plist.

As well as the following:
Cleaned up and removed a number of unused entries so the config.plist is easier to navigate and read.
Disabled XhciPortLimit Quirk, as you have a USBPorts.kext.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11.3 MB · Views: 29
well, i lost more than an hour collecting files, drivers, etc and at the final scoll down, i saw that you had attached the efi folder. i created my own serial, for Macpro 7.1, loaded on my usb stick and booted.

now, as you can see at the image, i do not have usb3 ports (devices marked with red dot should be usb3),
and the card reader is not working.
another issue that i noticed is that after reboot, i have to pull out/plug in a usb device to be recognized.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 2.00.16 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 2.00.16 PM.png
    24 KB · Views: 23
You need to check your USBPorts.kext is activating the USB ports that you are missing. It is possible/likely even, that with the multiple USB kext and the XhciPortLimit Quirk you had in your original setup that the USBPorts.kext wasn't being used by the system. With the removal of the duplicate and unnecessary kexts and quirk you are now seeing the true workings of your USBPorts.kext. It obviously isn't working as you thought.

So, you need to test each port you have activated in the kext with a USB2, USB3 and/or Type-C device to see which ports work and which don't. Then edit the USBPorts.kext to reflect the issues you find during the testing process. This includes changing port Connector Types to reflect the following attributes:
  1. Only USB2 physical ports (Black tang) on the rear I/O plate should be set with connector type USB2 (0)
  2. USB2 virtual ports, served from a USB3 physical (Type-A) port or from a USB3 motherboard header should be set with connector type USB3 (3)
  3. USB3 physical Type-A ports (Red, Blue or Cyan tang) on the rear I/O plate or a case front port served from a USB3 motherboard header should be set with connector type USB3 (3)
  4. USB2 header ports wether serving a case front USB2 port or Internal Bluetooth, LED, CPU pump or Webcam device should be set with connector type 'Internal' (255), never set these as USB2 (0).
  5. Type-C ports and headers serving case front ports need careful examination when being 'discovered'. As they can be either Type-c+sw (9) or Type-c (without switch) (10).
The difference between the two Type-C ports is as follows:
  1. When you insert a Type-C device in to a port a specific port will be highlighted in Hackintool's USB window.
  2. When you eject the device, flip it 180° and reinsert the device in the same port, is when the type of port you are testing becomes clear.
    1. If the same port is highlighted then the port is a Type-c+sw (9)
    2. If a different port is highlighted then the port is a Type-c (10) without switch.
Hope this helps.

my first and main problem is the freeze...
i'm obsessed that comes from the graphics card.
so, i ordered a RX660XT to replace my RX570.
i will keep you informed..

That’s fine, but you still need to undertake the USB discovery, as your current set isn’t correct.

That’s fine, but you still need to undertake the USB discovery, as your current set isn’t correct.
i will.. after i change my graphics card
today, i was working 4-5 hours, all ok.
i started playing, after 30' crash.. i think this game uses webgl technology, or something like that.

Back