Contribute
Register

Blank/Invisible Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone found a fix for this that does not involve a fresh install?

Will reinstalling ML over current install of ML using an updated Unibeast, for example, solve the issue? Or is there a patcher app that can be run?

I have the same issue after upgrading from Lion. I really don't want to make a new fresh install since I already activated some licensed apps so I don't want to ask for more serials (there is a very stricted policy with that).

Everything is working smoothly on Mountain Lion, only the system apps icons on the dock and the folders icons on the desktop are missing :(

If anyone got the solution, please let us know. Thanks!

I had the invisible icon problem when I installed ML using UniBeast on top of existing Lion. I reinstalled multiple times using UniBeast and the problem persisted.

I used xMove to reinstall Mt. Lion over the ML installation and the problem went away as pointed out earlier in the thread. I did not do anything else other than use xMove to create a fresh ML installation and run it on top of the ML installation with the problem.

Hope that this helps.

I had the invisible icon problem when I installed ML using UniBeast on top of existing Lion. I reinstalled multiple times using UniBeast and the problem persisted.

I used xMove to reinstall Mt. Lion over the ML installation and the problem went away as pointed out earlier in the thread. I did not do anything else other than use xMove to create a fresh ML installation and run it on top of the ML installation with the problem.

Hope that this helps.

Thanks for sharing, I have a question. After your xMove reinstallation did you migrate your data from the earlier account? I really need to keep my data safe.

ok guys, after too much searching I found the solution! did not have to reinstall ML, just run some simple terminal commands ;)

I copy/paste from another forum:
This seems to be a problem, when upgrading from Lion, at least in my case.
But I finally fixed it with running the following commands, which basically remove a leftover framework and replacing it with a link the same as a clean install of ML did.

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks
rm -rf ImageIO.framework
ln -s ../../../../ImageIO.framework ImageIO.framework

After a restart the missing icons in the Dock reappeared.

ok guys, after too much searching I found the solution! did not have to reinstall ML, just run some simple terminal commands ;)

I copy/paste from another forum:

Thx. Worked perfect

Thanks for sharing, I have a question. After your xMove reinstallation did you migrate your data from the earlier account? I really need to keep my data safe.

I reinstalled on top of an existing installation. So, I did not have to move anything. All the data and settings are all there.

Thanks! This worked extremely well. I would add that I had to use the sudo command in front of each line in Terminal. I also found that the system icons had been restored but the Dock icons were still invisible. I ran the killall Dock command but it seemed to make no difference. Afterward (so the killall Dock command may still be relevant) I reset again and clicked on each program and each icon reappeared. For the Launchpad and Mission Control I had to remove them from the dock and put them back from Applications.

My symptoms appear to be very similar to the screenshot posted by Raqsys at the start of the thread. My issue extends to large icons in the Finder's Icon view and Cover Flow as well as the Application Switcher menu.

I have a related symptom and I would like to know if other users experience it as well. If I reboot and check the option to "Reopen windows when logging back in," all the windows from my previous session open except for Finder windows. The Finder always comes up with nothing open. Has anyone got an idea what could be causing a failure to re-open windows?

I installed a clean Lion onto my HDD from another Mac, I have since done two uniBeast installs but they have not been onto clean partitions.

Mundakas' solution did not work for me.

Update: Re-making my UniBeast drive and then reinstalling Mountain Lion onto a newly-partitioned hard drive has mostly fixed my issue. Aside from the user profile images, the reinstallation has brought back my icons in the Finder. It still does not restore windows from the previous login.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back