ASROCK Z-77 Extreme 4-M
CPU
Intel I-7-3770@ 3.40GHz
Graphics
Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8MB / Intel HD4000 / Quadro K2000
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,
A new Gigabyte Gaming Radeon Rx580 card (8GB). I know this isn't explicitly mentioned as working OOB, but I believe others have got it up & running. The card functions fine up until entering OS, and then suddenly powers down and off (fans stop spinning) and black screen. It's probably worth noting I am using the HDMI Port, as my monitor doesn't have a DP port.

I recently installed a new PSU - EVGA 650G+, to ensure I had the juice & connections for the new card. No issues there.

If I detach power from the 580, I can boot perfectly from the IGPU provided PCI-E is selected as the primary boot option. If I force IGPU as primary in Bios with both cards connected, the machine hangs and reboots.

Here is a list of the basics that have been tried, as I have had a crack at a number of things, based on forums & experimentation.

1) Lilu & Whatevergreen are both in Clover / Kexts / Other.
2) I have manually added Vendor ID (1002) & Product ID (67DF).
3) Have RadeonDeInit active
4) Have tried agdpmod=pikera
5) Have tried adding FB ID (Orinoco)
6) Tried disabling CSM in bios, but I can't boot if this is done.

Bear in mind most of these ideas have been tried in isolation as well, as opposed to just all at once.

Been down some interesting rabbitholes and had to navigate my way out of a bad situation where I over-wrote my clover folder and had to learn a bunch of UEFI shell commmands..haha

All working again now.

Pretty stuck though. This is only my first hack so would welcome any advice.

I am attaching the -v of the crash, as well as my clover folder, so you can see what an awful mess it is.

:lol:

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    8.7 MB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 63
Apologies. Mojave - 14.3. I have amended the thread title to be more accurate.

So having wracked my brains and trawled these forums for the last few days trying out ideas, still stuck.

Still get the GLscreenlock state 03 error as above when booting into Mojave with video coming from the HDMI port on the Rx-580, but If I shutdown and unplug power on the card, I am able to boot perfectly well with the IGPU (HD4000).

In addition to the other things I have tried, I have switched to what seems like a more appropriate SMbios that matches my chipset - I-Mac 13,1. I also tried out 14,2 & 18,3, as I heard these had good compatibility with Rx580 but no dice on any of them.

I have considered that it could be an HDMI issue, as this has caused issues for others with this card. Seems a bit strange though, as the card just stalls completely, including the fans stopping, which doesn't seem like a display issue.

I have definitely seen several people now state they were able to get this exact card up and running, but no detailed descriptions.

Sure I am just missing something obvious here.

Latest clover folder below if anyone were feeling kind enough to take a look.

Attachments

• CLOVER 2.zip
    16.4 MB · Views: 35
FIXED!

Turns out all that was needed was a bios flash / update via USB. Sometimes it's the simple things in life... :lol:

I also bought a DP / HDMI converter so I could use the DP plugs, but I think it was the flash that did the trick.

So I can confirm Gigabyte Gaming Radeon Rx580 is definitely compatible with this setup.

Had a couple of weird issues on boot so far, and had to reset, but the card is working nicely, fans functioning.

Off to do some testing!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 9.47.39 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 9.47.39 pm.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 9.49.11 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 9.49.11 pm.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 51
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back