Contribute
Register

Black screen after Sonoma Update

The verbose isn't hanging anywhere.

if I remove it I see the whole Apple progressbar but after that blackscreens occure.

I even hear the strange sound I always hear when the OS is loading.

The last time I checked Hackintool I was using 0.9.5 there were just two kext updates, which I updated.

I'm attaching the log file.

I'm currently reading this article which seems related to my issue:
That article pertains mostly to intel iGPUs. to quote "To start, let's assume we're using a Z390 board with a UHD 630. This system is iGPU-only in macOS and has issues with using certain display-outs, and is using the 0x3E9B0007 framebuffer". If you are trying to get the iGPU on your system to boot Sonoma and it won't work well then sure.

If your 6800XT worked in Ventura it really should be fine and work the same in Sonoma. Can I assume you checked the card was working another OS? It would be odd for it to fail at the same time you updated but stranger things have happened. Could be you got a bad install too although I bet it's something else.

Is the stage sound coil whine from your video card?

The configuration was working fine on Ventura, I was using both UHD 630 and 6800 XT.

The card is working fine, I'm currently writing from my Windows which is on another SSD :) So the card is working fine.

The installation process seemed fine, after few restarts I got the apple progressbar which each time is filling fine, but then I get the black screen.

The sound is from my headphones, not from the hardware of the computer.

The **** is getting deeper.

I waited about 10-15 minutes after the progressbar has finished and the screen was black.

It turns out that the upgrade process haven't finish and I was happy because I was able to get Sonoma working.

Unfortunately it was quite laggy, no internet, no usb ports etc.

I restarted the OS and it took a while to turn off the system and to turn it on again that happened a long time ago because of the TRIM of the Samsung SSD which was later fixed.

I totally regret updating at all.

The **** is getting deeper.

I waited about 10-15 minutes after the progressbar has finished and the screen was black.

It turns out that the upgrade process haven't finish and I was happy because I was able to get Sonoma working.

Unfortunately it was quite laggy, no internet, no usb ports etc.

I restarted the OS and it took a while to turn off the system and to turn it on again that happened a long time ago because of the TRIM of the Samsung SSD which was later fixed.

I totally regret updating at all.
So a case of impatience compounded by the SSD you are trying to update. There is no permanent fix for the Samsung trim issue, the only solution is to purchase a different supported drive.
Another user with a Samsung 870 Pro drive reported similar problems with Sonoma and found the drive had failed after the update. Same behavior

Last edited:
You might be sending him down a rabbit hole, he probably should update open core but its not likely Andy of ACPI SSDTs are causing display issues.
Sorry, never heard of Andy. My ACPI files are all from "OpenCore-0.9.5-RELEASE/Docs/AcpiSamples/Binaries" folder and are dated September 11, 2023. IMHO, the OP's should also be sourced from there.

... if you don't need to access HFS formatted files, later versions of OSX use APFS which OpenCore supports, you don't need HFSPlus.efi.
You need to access HFS-formatted devices (for instance) if you want to install a version of MacOS from a USB flash drive, or copy files from an HFS-formatted disk, etc. If you use Apple's "createinstallmedia" procedure to create a MacOS installer, it automatically formats the installer device as HFS+, not APFS.

Of course, I am running Ventura, not Sonoma, so some or all of my comments in my post above may be inappropriate. But my system works or I would not have written them.

Sorry, never heard of Andy. My ACPI files are all from "OpenCore-0.9.5-RELEASE/Docs/AcpiSamples/Binaries" folder and are dated September 11, 2023. IMHO, the OP's should also be sourced from there.

You need to access HFS-formatted devices (for instance) if you want to install a version of MacOS from a USB flash drive, or copy files from an HFS-formatted disk, etc. If you use Apple's "createinstallmedia" procedure to create a MacOS installer, it automatically formats the installer device as HFS+, not APFS.

Of course, I am running Ventura, not Sonoma, so some or all of my comments in my post above may be inappropriate. But my system works or I would not have written them.

Sorry for the typo, on my phone and Andy should have read “any”. He has other issues which you probably read in his last post unrelated.
Good point regarding USB drives and HfsPlus.efi, I always have it in my EFIs.

So a case of impatience compounded by the SSD you are trying to update. There is no permanent fix for the Samsung trim issue, the only solution is to purchase a different supported drive.
Another user with a Samsung 870 Pro drive reported similar problems with Sonoma and found the drive had failed after the update. Same behavior
Yes the first issue was indeed costed by inpatience but now however when the Sonoma starts I don't have working type-c port, I don't have a Wifi, and who knows what else isn't working and I'm not sure from where to start.

All these things were working properly when I was on Ventura, the SSD in the past has caused slow loading but when it loads the system was working properly.

I'm at work now but tonight I'll start addressing the issues one by another, any advices are welcomed, because there might be something generally wrong.

Yes the first issue was indeed costed by inpatience but now however when the Sonoma starts I don't have working type-c port, I don't have a Wifi, and who knows what else isn't working and I'm not sure from where to start.

All these things were working properly when I was on Ventura, the SSD in the past has caused slow loading but when it loads the system was working properly.

I'm at work now but tonight I'll start addressing the issues one by another, any advices are welcomed, because there might be something generally wrong.
Well in reviewing your posts I don't see where you state what you are using for Wifi/ Bluetooth. I don't see any kexts for an onboard intel card and you have an SSDT that is supposed to block an internal Cnvi card so that seems to point to you having an add on Wifi/ Bluetooth card. If you are using some sort of Broadcom based card it's been well documented here Wifi is not supported in Sonoma (without some additional hoops to jump through), bluetooth should work though. Please elaborate on what you are using.

As far as USBc you USB port map shows you have it identified as "10" which would mean its "unswitchable". It's more likely it's a type 9 but you'd have to dig into more to know for sure. #2

EDIT: And please buy a new SSD that is supported, prices are very reasonable for any of the WD drives.

Back