Black screen after Sonoma Update

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
I "updated" to Sonoma with O.C. 0.9.5.

After the progressbar finishes I get black screens without anything.

I made a quick google search but I wasn't able to find any solutions.

So I hope I can find one here, cause I really need my MacOS running by monday :)

Looking forward to your reply.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 46
I think it must be something with the display ports, I have two monitors I see the whole apple progressbar and after it finishes the screens become black with monitor message no DP signal.

I use both pikera and radcode for Sonoma to work with GPU.

boot-args Description
agdpmod=pikera Used for disabling board ID checks on some Navi GPUs (RX 5000 & 6000 series), without this you'll get a black screen. Don't use if you don't have Navi (ie. Polaris and Vega cards shouldn't use this)
-radcodec Used for allowing officially unsupported AMD GPUs (spoofed) to use the Hardware Video Encoder

I have agdpmod=pikera, because I'm using 6800 XT, and -radcodec didn't fix the job.

I'm still receiving the black screen.

I think I visited every similar issue on the net but I still can't find a solution.

I disabled from the BIOS the internal card but still the same issue.

I even tried HDMI cable, but it is still not working.

I tried to revert Lilu and Whatevergreen but same thing...

Hope that someone helps me out with this :)

Last edited:
I "updated" to Sonoma with O.C. 0.9.5.

After the progressbar finishes I get black screens without anything.

I made a quick google search but I wasn't able to find any solutions.

So I hope I can find one here, cause I really need my MacOS running by monday :)

Looking forward to your reply.
No HFS formatted drives I assume otherwise you would need HfsPlus.efi or OpenHfsPlus.efi in drivers (one or the other).

It may have something to do with the Device Properties you have enabled for the iGPU which are not needed with a dGPU. In the attached I commented out the DeviceProperties you shouldn't need.

You can also always try unplugging the DP cable after boot and plugging it back in, might work.

Attachments

• EFI-3.zip
    4 MB · Views: 32
Looked at your uploaded EFI folder. My comments:

1. None of the files in your EFI/OC/ACPI are from the OpenCore 0.9.5 release package. They are dated around March 2022. Also I saw SSDT-EC.aml in there, and I think that should be SSDT-EC-USBX.aml.

2. You and I both use similar Gigabyte Z390-type boards with an Intel i9-9900K CPU, but your edited ACPI file "SSDT-PLUG.aml" is quite different from mine. Maybe okay, maybe not. You might want to try the latest OpenCore 0.9.5 SSDT (before editing it to your requirements) to see if it helps.

3. From the author of SSDT-Disable-CNVW.aml: "Its purpose is to hide the Intel CNVi WiFi module from macOS." Do you need that? (I don't have it.)

4. Your EFI/OC/Drivers folder is missing "OpenHfsPlus.efi" (or "HfsPlus.efi").

5. config.plist would need to be updated to match latest OpenCore ACPI files.

6. In config.plist you have Kernel/Quirks/DisableIoMapper Value = YES; I have NO.

7. In config.plist/UEFI/Drivers, the HFS+ Driver entry is missing.

8. In config.plist/UEFI/Quirks, you have IgnoreInvalidFlexRatio Value = YES; I have NO. Not sure if this is a problem for you.

(There are differences between your Device Properties entries and mine... I have no "frame buffer" entries.)

HTH.

Looked at your uploaded EFI folder. My comments:

1. None of the files in your EFI/OC/ACPI are from the OpenCore 0.9.5 release package. They are dated around March 2022. Also I saw SSDT-EC.aml in there, and I think that should be SSDT-EC-USBX.aml.

2. You and I both use similar Gigabyte Z390-type boards with an Intel i9-9900K CPU, but your edited ACPI file "SSDT-PLUG.aml" is quite different from mine. Maybe okay, maybe not. You might want to try the latest OpenCore 0.9.5 SSDT (before editing it to your requirements) to see if it helps.

3. From the author of SSDT-Disable-CNVW.aml: "Its purpose is to hide the Intel CNVi WiFi module from macOS." Do you need that? (I don't have it.)

4. Your EFI/OC/Drivers folder is missing "OpenHfsPlus.efi" (or "HfsPlus.efi").

5. config.plist would need to be updated to match latest OpenCore ACPI files.

6. In config.plist you have Kernel/Quirks/DisableIoMapper Value = YES; I have NO.

7. In config.plist/UEFI/Drivers, the HFS+ Driver entry is missing.

8. In config.plist/UEFI/Quirks, you have IgnoreInvalidFlexRatio Value = YES; I have NO. Not sure if this is a problem for you.

(There are differences between your Device Properties entries and mine... I have no "frame buffer" entries.)

HTH.
You might be sending him down a rabbit hole, he probably should update open core but its not likely Andy of ACPI SSDTs are causing display issues. He should probably boot with -v (verbose) to see here it hangs and report back with a photo. Also as I mentioned earlier if you don't need to access HFS formatted files, later versions of OSX use APFS which OpenCore supports, you don't need HFSPlus.efi.

The verbose isn't hanging anywhere.

if I remove it I see the whole Apple progressbar but after that blackscreens occure.

I even hear the strange sound I always hear when the OS is loading.

The last time I checked Hackintool I was using 0.9.5 there were just two kext updates, which I updated.

I'm attaching the log file.

I'm currently reading this article which seems related to my issue:

Attachments

• opencore-2023-10-08-220510.txt
    256 KB · Views: 43
Back