ASRock H170M-ITX/DL
CPU
Core i3-6100
Graphics
GigaByte GeForce GTX 1050
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi,

I just built my first hackintosh (see profile) and I have run into a frustrating graphics problem. I see the progress bar when booting up, but at about the 75% mark the screen goes black. This machine is running macOS Sierra 10.12.2.

I have found a couple of work arounds but neither is an acceptable long term solution.

-First, I can log in remotely using Screen Sharing. I found that by changing the resolution via Displays in System Preferences activates the display on the Monoprice MPLE27QPM display. I can then continue to work normally. Things seem to work OK across a restart, but not a shutdown.

-Second, I have an old 20" Cinema Display (1680x1050) that seems to work just fine using DVI. One thing to note here, at about the same spot during the startup progress bar where the monoprice display goes black I see a graphical glitch on the CD but then the login screen displays.

I have tried connecting to the Monoprice MPLE27QPM display with both HDMI and DVI but both connection methods display the problem. Also in Displays in System Preferences the appropriate range of resolutions do not show up in the Scaled list, even when option-clicking. The list does not include the native resolution of the display which is 2560x1440. The best resolution it will let me select is 1080p (1920x1080). I was able to get the native resolution by using SwitchResX so I know that the hardware is capable of driving the display at that resolution.

Obviously I want to be able to use the Monoprice MPLE27QPM display as it is vastly superior to the old Cinema Display.

Please help!

Multibeast configuration:
Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e v3.3.1
Drivers > Network > Realtek > RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.1
Drivers > USB > Increase Max Port Limit
Bootloaders > Clover v2.3k r3766 UEFI
Boot Mode Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac 14,2
Drivers > Graphics > Intel HD 530

Last edited:
My son found an acceptable work around.

After the progress screen changes to a black screen wait a few seconds then use the keyboard shortcut to put the display to sleep (Shift (⇧)-Ctrl (⌃) – Eject), it takes a few seconds but I see the screen backlight come on and then go off again, wait a few more seconds then hit the space bar (or any other key), the display will wake up and show the login screen.

I still can't get the native resolution without using SwitchResX, still looking for a better solution...

Hi, how have you been doing with your hack? I'm planning to build one like yours, using the same AsRock mobo and no video card, is it possible to success following the original tonymac El Capitan installation guide? or do I need you additional workarounds? as far as I know sierra doesn't support the HD530(graphic artifacts issue) so that's why I'm focusing more on El Capitan(lastest version), thanks in advance!

Hi, how have you been doing with your hack? I'm planning to build one like yours, using the same AsRock mobo and no video card, is it possible to success following the original tonymac El Capitan installation guide? or do I need you additional workarounds? as far as I know sierra doesn't support the HD530(graphic artifacts issue) so that's why I'm focusing more on El Capitan(lastest version), thanks in advance!

There is a patch for the graphic artifact in Sierra now.

Everything is working but the black screen on a hard boot (issue I created this thread for). I am still using the work around from comment #2 as I have not found a permanent solution.

Other than that my machine is fully functional running Sierra. For more info on an issue I encountered with the audio driver see this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/alc892-audio-not-working.209816

Good luck with your build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back