Contribute
Register

black screen after install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chimera and no still no video even with -v GraphicsEnabler=No. I do get Video with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I then installed the latest CUDA drivers and I'm able to boot normally but when on startup my screen flickers a few times before I get to the desktop.

@OP

Do you have Chimera installed (or Chameleon)?

What are your settings in your boot.plst?

Can you boot with "GraphicsEnabler=No?" and -v at boot screen??

8400GS + Mountain Lion
:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=280926

Thanks for link to kexts. That almost solved the problem, I can boot into mountain Lion now but only with GraphicsEnabler=yes boot flag. As soon as I get my app store problem fixed I'll try editing plist with graphics card i.d. string.
Thanks Dan

Same here

Same issue here, tried a couple of chameleon versions (1.1, 2.something, newest), dh55tc board, gts250 graphics, also tried flags and onboard graphics (unsupported), any ideas?

I have the same problem on a Shuttle SX48P2E, using 9600 GT based video board. The screen was black, no matter what I tried on the command line. The system appeared to still be running, however. I was using a DVI --> HDMI cable. I changed that to a DVI --> DVI cable, and different monitor, and it worked. I was able to install, and run with that setup.

If I try to change back to the DVI --> HDMI cable, it goes black until I reboot. Unplugging the DVI cable is not a problem. Connecting the HDMI cable, even momentarily kills it. Tested on two HDMI monitors.

My short term solution is to use the DVI monitor and cable. Long term, I don't know. It's surprising that the cable has such a profound effect.

You all have a Sandy Bridge right? Are all of you also having integrated graphics (HD 3000). Maybe they are conflicting, although turned Off. Somebody mentioned that you can have both graphics enabled and your display output comes still via your PCIe-graphics.

I have the same problem but with a slight twist. System specs are as follows:

Core 2 Quad 6600
ASUS P5G41C-M LX
8GB (2x4GB) DDR 1600
8800GTS 640 (also tried 9500GT)
1TB WD HDD
Auria EQ276W 27" 2560x1440 IPS

The OS X Mountain Lion install also had a blank screen but using the following allowed the install get past that and to go to completion:

PCIRootUID=0

npci=0x3000

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

With OS X lion the configuration worked fine. Upgrading to Mountain Lion caused a blank screen after the Apple logo at boot.

Here is the twist though. In this case the monitor is blank but it seems to think it is receiving a signal so it doesn't go into suspend mode. If I cycle the power to the monitor it will work fine and display at 2560x1440 so there is no need to reboot the system. Rebooting causes the same issue again.

If I use another monitor like an ASUS EV278Q 1920x1080 on this Mountain Lion system it will work fine no problem. If I use the Auria EQ276W on a Windows 7 system or a different OS X Mountain Lion system using an ATI card it will work fine booting into 2560x1440.

What is see in common here is everyone with this blank screen issue after the Apple logo is using an nVidia card.

I'm thinking of just buying another HD 6870 or maybe an HD 6850.

Black Screen On Reboot After Multibeast Mt. Lion. OK Before Multibeast

I too have the Black Screen Problem when I reboot after I had run Multibeast. I have been following 2 other threads on this issue. I've listed them here.

Here is info on how my black screen problem evolved.
HTML:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/63392-mountain-lion-screen-flash-restarts-startup.html#post404311

Another thread talks about how the monitor/video card may be involved. He did several interesting tests.
HTML:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/63029-yet-another-black-screen-problem.html#post404629
I cannot recall if I checked to see if System Information listed my ATI Radeon MSI r5770 video card correctly before I ran Multibeast. Video card is correctly listed in Lion. Also my monitor is correctly listed in Lion. Another poster in this thread, suggested that vendor codes need to be corrected for video card because Mountain Lion has used something different. I don't know how I can find different codes for my card. I do know how to install vendor codes in the kexts suggested. The ones for Lion are correct?

Is there a file, in the ML installed by me, that lists what ML thinks my video card is?
Perhaps is there someway I can find that out - in absence of being able to run System Information [About this Mac>More Info>System Information]?

Here is my org.Chameleon.boot.plist for ML. Wonder what changes there might fix problem.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Hide Partition</key>
	<string> </string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>arch=X86_64 npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I see that the 32 bit/64 bit param is there. ML only runs as 64bit. I suspect it ignores any request for 32bit. Also it automatically added Hide Partition w/o including a string with the partitions to be hidden.

You might need to put a device/vendor ID in the NVDANV50Hal.kext if your card uses that or whichever of the NVDAxx100Hal.kexts is relevant to your card. ML removed a lot of these after DP2 and Chameleon is struggling to probe the cards properly.

My problem is like this! I've installed ML on my PC.
Specs:
Intel Core i3 @ 3.2GHz
4 GB RAM
1TB HDD
1GB ATI RADEON HD 6670 GFX Card

After installation my pc rebooted and this is what I get
1344312278580.jpg
I cannot go any further! Can you tell me what to do?

My problem is like this! I've installed ML on my PC.
Specs:
Intel Core i3 @ 3.2GHz
4 GB RAM
1TB HDD
1GB ATI RADEON HD 6670 GFX Card

After installation my pc rebooted and this is what I get
View attachment 26995
I cannot go any further! Can you tell me what to do?

I can't explain why, but i solve this problem when i unpluged my second screen (i have a double screen configuration)

PS : GTX 560 ti

Forgive me for being a noob, but where does one find out the device/vendor id information in order to put into the kext?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back