Contribute
Register

Bizarre boot problem with SSD drive, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Rampage IV Extreme
CPU
4930K @4.4GHz
Graphics
EVGA GTX 980Ti SC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey folks, I'm dealing with a very strange problem trying to boot with an OCZ 120GB Vertex III Max IOPS drive. I had some issues installing Snow on this drive (kernel panics mostly) so tried installing on a spare HD which went fine. Once I got the system updated to 10.6.8 I cloned the HD back to the OCZ SSD. Although the HD boots without a hitch, the SSD drive hangs when it gets to the "Loading Operating System" screen. Here comes the strange part, when I set the boot priority in BIOS for the HD to boot first, it gets to the Chimera screen at which point I can select the SSD and then it boots fine. Once booted with the SSD, my Hackintosh runs great (so I don't think the SSD is defective). The SSD is plugged into the 6Gbps SATA (1) port and the HD is plugged into the 3Gbps SATA (5) port. I've tried plugging the SSD into different ports on the board always with the same result (hangs on the loading operating system screen) and even tried different brand cables (the cables are all labeled 6Gbps so I assume they should be compatible with SATA III spec). In fact, when I tried the cables that didn't come with the motherboard, the SSD wouldn't be recognized in BIOS half the time! Sorry for the long post but anyone else out there having similar issues?

kyphotog said:
Hey folks, I'm dealing with a very strange problem trying to boot with an OCZ 120GB Vertex III Max IOPS drive. I had some issues installing Snow on this drive (kernel panics mostly) so tried installing on a spare HD which went fine. Once I got the system updated to 10.6.8 I cloned the HD back to the OCZ SSD. Although the HD boots without a hitch, the SSD drive hangs when it gets to the "Loading Operating System" screen. Here comes the strange part, when I set the boot priority in BIOS for the HD to boot first, it gets to the Chimera screen at which point I can select the SSD and then it boots fine. Once booted with the SSD, my Hackintosh runs great (so I don't think the SSD is defective). The SSD is plugged into the 6Gbps SATA (1) port and the HD is plugged into the 3Gbps SATA (5) port. I've tried plugging the SSD into different ports on the board always with the same result (hangs on the loading operating system screen) and even tried different brand cables (the cables are all labeled 6Gbps so I assume they should be compatible with SATA III spec). In fact, when I tried the cables that didn't come with the motherboard, the SSD wouldn't be recognized in BIOS half the time! Sorry for the long post but anyone else out there having similar issues?
It missing the bootloader on the ssd. Just install the same you have on your hd already by a new run of MultiBeast with your ssd as target.

(SOLVED) Bizarre boot problem with SSD drive, any advice?

After cloning the working HD to anther HD and getting the identical problem, I came to the same conclusion. That during the cloning process (using SuperDuper!), it wasn't copying over the bootloader. Sure enough when I ran Multibeast (checked System Utilities and Chimera) and set the SSD as target, it booted right up!

I'm not sure if this affects Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) as I think at some point I tried that as well and ran into the same problem. In any case, good to keep in mind for keeping bootable backups.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back