HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My first post,

I have recently built this Hackintosh as a dual boot OSX 10.8.2 and Win7. Both OS on different Sandisk Extreme SSD 240. I have had some intermittent problems with kernel panics although the windows side, when selected in Chimera, boots fine consistently (when choosing system reserved). I restarted a couple times with kernel panic and then it finally just booted without me doing anything new. What I did notice is that the bios screen is very slow (pauses?) now and when I first built the machine it was lightning fast.

I am stumbling to make this my everyday computer but have yet to get it to work consistently. I am using the grey Marvell SATA port for an exFAT data and Time machine drive and it would show up fine, although I thought that might have been a problem at first. Some have posted inconsistent results with that. Anyone have any insight into my challenges. Thanks so much

The problems seem to continue to grow with this build. It will sometimes just stop in the boot up before it gets to the bios post screen. The LED error message says "some of the architectural protocols are missing." It will also boot into OSX with the screen cutting in and out and then it went to the log in screen just fine and after password booted perfectly. I then pout the system to sleep and I couldn't wake it from sleep with either the bluetooth trackpad or USB apple keyboard. I also have two monitors set up. One DVI on the HD4000 and one on the TB port 2. The TB port monitor will sometimes not work at all.

This system worker well for the first few days. We then used Acronis and its Universal Restore to add the second OS Drive (Win 7). The Windows side seems to boot fine (I choose it from the Chimera BootLoader) but it takes a while for the TB Port connected display to turn on.

It seems like the Motherboard is really struggling, perhaps? Any thoughts? When we set up the system we read, and read, and read in the forum and thought we were employing best practices mentioned here. My colleague has a Hackintosh running Lion 10.7.4 basically trouble free.

The build will occasionally KP as well. The KP is attached. I can't determine a pattern for this happening. It sometimes happens once, and then it is fine after a reboot, then I might have to reboot three or four times before it boots without the Kernel Panic. Kernel Panic.JPG

I was reading through the KP you posted and noticed the BlueTooth reference. Are you using the small BT/WiFi card that came with the UP5? That card was listed as "Not Compatible." Some members here have managed to get half of it working but I can't remember which half.

I have the same board and CPU but I am using an NVidia GTX670 GPU and not the H4000. Also,
I am able use the Thunderbolt ports to drive my Apple Cinema Display (the one with Mini Display Ports, not the TH one) if I want to so I know the TH ports work.

Also, what BIOS revision are you using? It is up to F11 at this point, with a F12a available for the brave hearted.

Thanks so much for the response. I am using the Iogear GBU521 (tonymac recommended) Bluetooth. I read as well the challenges with the card that came with the motherboard.

I am running one display on the Thunderbolt port and it tends to work, although it sometimes takes some time for the board to kick the TB Port into action. Same delay with the USB keyboard and bluetooth trackpad. A second display is running off the DVI on HD4000 and that seems to always be available.

I am using the F11 revision.

Thank you Bob, that will be my next effort. After reading posts last night I was hopeful I would find success by disabling VT-d in Bios features but the only option is enabling or disabling Intel Virtualization Technology, which I understand to be VT-x. I believe that is what we want to be enabled for Parallels. In f11 for our motherboard there is no option for VT-d, unless I am missing something.

Bob, what system definition are you using? Should I be using MacMini 6,2? Do I understand correctly that handles native Ivy Bridge power management? I am using iMac 12,1

Thank you for your help! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed

Note: I should have posted this with Mikegib. He is my colleague and we are working on this new Hack of his together and my account doesn't have the right system info attached. My apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back