i7-6700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I already have a smaller regular SSD (500 GB) and it's almost full due to photos and etc. I am considering in upgrading to either bigger M.2 SSD or a regular SSD. Do you have suggestions as to which one would be easier to work with? I do some video editing and so forth.

Is there a way to copy the smaller SSD onto M.2 SSD and then insert it as the main drive?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I already have a smaller regular SSD (500 GB) and it's almost full due to photos and etc. I am considering in upgrading to either bigger M.2 SSD or a regular SSD. Do you have suggestions as to which one would be easier to work with? I do some video editing and so forth.

Is there a way to copy the smaller SSD onto M.2 SSD and then insert it as the main drive?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Which version of MacOS are you currently running on your system?

You should be able to clone your SSD to a bigger size SSD (M.2 or normal SATA) by using cloning tools such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Note that if you want to use a NVMe M.2 SSD, you need to be running High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina as older versions lack support for them.

Which version of MacOS are you currently running on your system?

You should be able to clone your SSD to a bigger size SSD (M.2 or normal SATA) by using cloning tools such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Note that if you want to use a NVMe M.2 SSD, you need to be running High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina as older versions lack support for them.
I'm running Catalina. I noticed in some older blogs that there are extra steps that needs to do before M.2 SSD can be used with hackintosh - coding? Is that still the case or has that changed with the newer OS? I'm still debating as to whether get regular bigger ssd or just go for M.2. Thanks!

I'm running Catalina. I noticed in some older blogs that there are extra steps that needs to do before M.2 SSD can be used with hackintosh - coding? Is that still the case or has that changed with the newer OS? I'm still debating as to whether get regular bigger ssd or just go for M.2. Thanks!
High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina have support for third party M.2 NVMe SSDs, not just Apple branded SSDs. I use a Kingston A2000 M.2 NVMe SSD in my main system and High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina all recognize it successfully.

A 2.5" SATA SSD will of course also work.

@mnsrit , be careful with a M.2 NVMe solution, on a GA Skylake based mobo. You will be losing regular SATA ports in doing so. Carefully study your mobo manual to ascertain for yourself whether you can live with the consequences should you opt to go for the M.2 NVMe route.

Regards Henties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back