Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I thought I would share my successes (and challenges) with the public beta.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 8.22.41 PM.png

Note: This is experimental and should only be done on a test drive and would be hard to do if you did not have another system or another drive to boot from.

My method (worked for clean install and upgrade):

Board: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS
Other details in profile are accurate

OpenCore 0.6.0 Release or Debug
AppleALC-1.5.1
IntelMausi-1.0.3
VirtualSMC-1.1.5
WhateverGreen-1.4.1

I also used the SMCProcessor, VirtualSMC and XHCI-unsopported kexts that are packaged with OpenCore.

Step one is to install OpenCore. By "install" you are just building your EFI folder that you will later use. A complete guide is found here:

Give yourself several hours for this as you will need to read, understand and make the files your board needs. If you have the same board as me, you are welcome to my aml files and config.plist.

For this board you will need SSDT-PLUG, SSDT-EC-USBX, SSDT-AWC and SSDT-PMC as described in the OpenCore guide linked above.

I extracted the DSDT using a linux system (I have a linux drive that I use frequently, but you could boot on a Linux distro USB). Directions for the extraction are in the guide. Back in Catalina, I used MacIASL to open and view the DSDT. Per the OpenCore guid, AICP settings were taken from the DSDT to compile the above listed SSDTs. I did not compile the SSDT-EC-USBX as this board's EC is correct, so I used rehabman's one. The config.plist is made using ProperTree and it will populate the file with the compiled aml files and kexts you have, so you do this last.

Big Sur was downloaded with gibMacOS. You can't use gibMacOS to extract the image for Big Sur, but instead run the package you downloaded and it will create the install app in your Applications folder and you can then use the built in install media creation tool to make a USB. Detailed directions are here:

Once made, you can use MountEFI to mount the USB partition and copy over the OpenCore files, the compiled SSDTs and your kexts.

Take time and go through the recommended config.plist entries for your specific platform. I used the recommended settings and only had to apply the RTC fix as outlined in the troubleshooting section of the guide. There are recommended tweaks for each CPU family. Coffee Lake settings are here:

I used GenSMBIOS (application) and used iMac19,1 for my Coffee Lake CPU. The values generated were entered into the config.plist.

Personally, I recommend you get OpenCore working on a Catalina setup so you are not learning OpenCore while trying to install Big Sur (that is what I did). Once you have OpenCore booting Catalina well, you can simply use your EFI folder on the USB drive. I want to stress this...it is way easier to get OpenCore working outside of a beta install so you are not trying to figure out if you have an error with the loader or the install. I installed and debugged OpenCore on my test drive first with a fresh install of Catalina. Once working, I copied the EFI folder then started the install process proper. I am happy enough with OpenCore (DRM works!!) that I have moved it to my main drive.

Booting off the USB allows to then boot off of the install entry in OpenCore. It takes a very long time. It rebooted twice and I selected "Mac OS Installer" as the boot entry each time and then rebooted two more times where I selected "Preboot" each time. "Preboot" remains the name of the boot entry that boots Big Sur.

Post installation was simply mounting the EFI partition and copying the EFI folder from the USB drive. You can only have one mounted at a time with the MountEFI tool, so I mounted the USB, copied it to the desktop, ejected it then mounted the hard drive's partition.

Sound and wired networking worked (I don't use wifi). The app store worked as well as icloud. DRM broke though it was working in Catalina. There were some artifacts in YouTube video where "cards" overlayed the video. The system was responsive and crisp feeling.

I did not do a great deal of testing other than some 3d CAD, web browsing and a run through of my common applications. I did not want to load my profile (that I keep on a second NVME from my boot one) as I am not ready to use it as my daily driver and I am certain it would convert mail and other items causing issue for when I booted back into Catalina.

If you remove the learning curve for OpenCore if you are coming from Clover, it is a simple install (but very long and VERY VERY different than prior versions). There are some cleanup issues in converting from Clover to OpenCore, so I elected to do a clean install then reset my NVRAM so I knew I was starting fresh. Much of OpenCore involves leaving values in NVRAM unless you explicitely delete them on boot, so a clean start made things easier. OpenCore has an NVRAM reset tool available in the boot loader menu. Once used, my OpenCore journey was easier as it removed some Clover artifacts (IMHO).

Good luck!

Last edited:
As luck would have it I have picked this board and processor combination for my next build. They have not arrived here yet, but I am in the meantime reading through all the OpenCore documents and preparing an installer for the Big Sur beta.
Can I please take you up on your offer of sharing your aml files and config.plist?
Many thanks for your help.

The entire EFI is attached. You will have to rename it and generate your own:
SystemSerialNumber
MLB
SystemUUID

By the time you use this, there will be significantly updated versions of OpenCore etc, but it may get you started.

Attachments

• EFI-Master 2.zip
    58.4 MB · Views: 574
I checked your EFI, and is working out great over here. Only things is it does seems the iGPU is not setup? [/edit] fixed following opencore guide [edit]

Last edited:
Dear blueridgedog,

I could use some help here.

Per your advice, I am trying to install macOS 10.15.4 via OpenCore (using your attached EFI, albeit slightly tweaked), yet I can't get past the [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START] kernel issue. :banghead:

The troubleshooting tips found here didn't solve the issue.

Any ideas sir?

/

[BUILD]
Motherboard: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS​
BIOS: Version 2201​
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K (Coffee Lake)​
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630​
Monitor Cable: HDMI​

[OS]
macOS 10.15.4​

[BOOTLOADER]
OpenCore 0.6.3 Debug​

[BIOS SETTINGS]
Intel (VMX) Virtualization Technology: Enabled​
Vt-d: Disabled​
IOAPIC 24-119 Entries: Enabled​
Serial Port: Off​
Power On By PCI-E/PCI: Enabled​
Legacy USB Support: Auto​
XHCI Hand-off: Enabled​
Network Stack: Disabled​
OS Type: Other OS​
Fast Boot: Disabled​
X.M.P.: Profile #1​
+
Primary Display: CPU Graphics​
iGPU Multi-Monitor: Disabled​
DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128MB​

[EFI]
  1. Started off with blueridgedog's EFI-2 Master.zip
  2. Updated OpenCore to "v0.6.3 Debug"
  3. Updated HfsPlus.efi to latest version
  4. Updated "DeviceProperties" according to OpenCore Install Guide instructions, to cater for the UHD 630 iGPU
  5. Updated "PlatformInfo", using the the iMac19,1 profile
  6. Everything else was left intact
(EFI folder attached)

[NOTES]
  • For what it's worth: Installing macOS 10.14.2 -using the attached EFI configuration- worked like a charm. :crazy:

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    58.4 MB · Views: 146
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back