Contribute
Register

Big Sur OpenCore - Dell 7390 2 in 1 (success) - Surface Book 1 (mostly) - Surface Book 3 (half)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Micro Tower
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
HD 530
Hi everyone, I've had some success with these three laptops but have come to the end of my amateur dabbling skills so thought I might upload these for everyone to contribute to. The Surface Books are notoriously hard and I've only managed after lots of trial and error. Not much on the web when searching for this so hopefully this thread will bring people together.

Dell 7390 - 2 in 1 - on OpenCore 0.66
i7 8650U
Intel UHD 620
Intel Wifi
Dual booting with NVME SSD in WAN port for MacOS

Thanks to @PurpleCrumpets for his EFI, I got this working pretty much fully.

Working:
- Almost everything, except what's "Not working" below
- In particular, touchscreen works with all gestures - it's basically a touchscreen Mac, or 2in1 iPad with MacOS! I don't know why it doesn't port over to the Surface Books, probably different hardware.
- Thunderbolt docking (Dell TB15) is working for display and USB, even better than under Windows where it's very buggy
- WiFi and Bluetooth working natively
- Camera working

Not working:
- Sleep - wakes up with kernel panic "Sleep wake failure in EFI"

Surface Book 1 - on OpenCore 0.66
i5 6300U
Intel UHD 520
Marvell Wifi
Booting from external USB SSD

Working:
- Keyboard working
- Trackpad working, including multi-gestures
- Ethernet via USB
- Sleep - appears to work, wakes up fine after long sleep without error or too much battery drain

Not working:
- Touchscreen
- WiFi / Bluetooth (should work with USB dongle)

Surface Book 3 - on OpenCore 0.73
i5 1035G7 - Ice Lake
Intel Iris Plus
Intel Wifi 6

Working:
- USB ports (including USB-C) working
- WiFi / Bluetooth
- Ethernet via USB
- Keyboard / Mouse via USB
- Sleep - appears to work

Not working:
- Internal Keyboard / Trackpad not working
- Touchscreen

Update:
I got the Surface Book 3 working with WiFi and Bluetooth on OpenCore 0.73!

Keyboard and trackpad still not working though. The keyboard and trackpad (and touchscreen) works in OpenCore picker.
There are some clues - kextstat from Terminal shows that the VoodooI2CHID and VoodooI2Input are not loaded (thought the OpenCore log shows they are loaded successfully). All other Voodoo kexts have loaded on Kextstat. On the SB1 with working keyboard and trackpad, these two kexts do load in MacOS.

I'll be interested in your contributions!

Attachments

• Dell 7390 2in1 on OC 066.zip
    25.8 MB · Views: 628
  • SB1 on OC 066.zip
    14.9 MB · Views: 230
  • SB3 on OC 073.zip
    37 MB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Hi,
I am intrigued by this post.
I have a Surface Book 3. 15inch model with the external GPU. I know my Nvidia graphics chip will not work with Mac, however I was considering dual booting with Windows or Linux.
I have tried following an opencore guide, collecting all the relevant kexts, and I made it boot once and installed mac, without the keyboard, trackpad, wifi etc, however after install it would not boot.
I came across your guide and tried your EFI folder, however everything seems fine, but after the initial run through of verbose I get the apple logo and then an instant black/greyish screen but then nothing ever happens after that. I have tried removing some kexts and looking at the Config, but no real change.

Any ideas?

Hi

If you get to the Apple loader and it crashes, it's probably to do with GPU. Try some boot arguments such as
-wegnogpu
-disablegfxfirmware

On the black screen, toggle Caps Lock. If the light goes on and off, then you're probably loaded in MacOS but no internal screen. Plug in external monitor and see if you get anything. Then it's a matter of trying different frame buffers etc which I'm not an expert at.

I think your attached log is just the Opencore boot loader log, not the actual MacOS log which would have details of failure of loading kexts, drivers, iGPU etc.

So I found this guy who has created a kext called BigSurface which essentially is all the surface drivers for the Surface Pro 7. I tried the driver on my Surface Book 3 along with my DSDT (although he does provide a SSDT which I think worked the same) and I was able to get the Battery/charging registered in the top bar. I also tweaked a little and my Surface Book 3 indicated I had plugged a trackpad/keyboard in but would not perform any actions so I am not sure why. The owner for this kext does provide a full breakdown of the kext on Xcode if someone with more knowledge would like to have a look at getting the trackpad, keyboard and maybe touchscreen working.
I have the same Surface Book 3 15inch i7, and I am struggling to get it to the installer of Big Sur. Can you please share your bootable EFI or share your method with me. Also did you get your Intel Iris Plus 940 fully working.

Thank you so much for your EFI, unfortunately the bootloader can't see any APFS partitions. Did you install it on an APFS or Mac OS Extended Partition? I have the pre-installed Windows with Secure Boot disabled, TPM is enabled, I'm not sure how to disable TPM as it is not in the bios. I can boot into the installer, start installation, it reboots but does not continue with the installation. Any help is much appriciated.

Hi everyone, I've had some success with these three laptops but have come to the end of my amateur dabbling skills so thought I might upload these for everyone to contribute to. The Surface Books are notoriously hard and I've only managed after lots of trial and error. Not much on the web when searching for this so hopefully this thread will bring people together.

Dell 7390 - 2 in 1 - on OpenCore 0.66
i7 8650U
Intel UHD 620
Intel Wifi
Dual booting with NVME SSD in WAN port for MacOS

Thanks to @PurpleCrumpets for his EFI, I got this working pretty much fully.

Working:
- Almost everything, except what's "Not working" below
- In particular, touchscreen works with all gestures - it's basically a touchscreen Mac, or 2in1 iPad with MacOS! I don't know why it doesn't port over to the Surface Books, probably different hardware.
- Thunderbolt docking (Dell TB15) is working for display and USB, even better than under Windows where it's very buggy
- WiFi and Bluetooth working natively
- Camera working

Not working:
- Sleep - wakes up with kernel panic "Sleep wake failure in EFI"

Surface Book 1 - on OpenCore 0.66
i5 6300U
Intel UHD 520
Marvell Wifi

Working:
- Keyboard working
- Trackpad working, including multi-gestures
- Ethernet via USB
- Sleep - appears to work, wakes up fine after long sleep without error or too much battery drain

Not working:
- Touchscreen
- WiFi / Bluetooth (should work with USB dongle)

Surface Book 3 - on OpenCore 0.73
i5 1035G7 - Ice Lake
Intel Iris Plus
Intel Wifi 6

Working:
- USB ports (including USB-C) working
- WiFi / Bluetooth
- Ethernet via USB
- Keyboard / Mouse via USB
- Sleep - appears to work

Not working:
- Internal Keyboard / Trackpad not working
- Touchscreen

Update:
I got the Surface Book 3 working with WiFi and Bluetooth on OpenCore 0.73!

Keyboard and trackpad still not working though. The keyboard and trackpad (and touchscreen) works in OpenCore picker.
There are some clues - kextstat from Terminal shows that the VoodooI2CHID and VoodooI2Input are not loaded (thought the OpenCore log shows they are loaded successfully). All other Voodoo kexts have loaded on Kextstat. On the SB1 with working keyboard and trackpad, these two kexts do load in MacOS.

I'll be interested in your contributions!
Thank you for your EFI, unfortunately the bootloader can't see any APFS partitions. Did you install it on an APFS or Mac OS Extended Partition? I have the pre-installed Windows with Secure Boot disabled, TPM is enabled, Bitlocker Drive encryption is off. I can boot into the installer, start installation, it reboots but does not continue with the installation. Any help is much appriciated.

Hi

If you get to the Apple loader and it crashes, it's probably to do with GPU. Try some boot arguments such as
-wegnogpu
-disablegfxfirmware

On the black screen, toggle Caps Lock. If the light goes on and off, then you're probably loaded in MacOS but no internal screen. Plug in external monitor and see if you get anything. Then it's a matter of trying different frame buffers etc which I'm not an expert at.

I think your attached log is just the Opencore boot loader log, not the actual MacOS log which would have details of failure of loading kexts, drivers, iGPU etc.
is there any update on the sleep issue on Dell 7390 2 in 1?

Posted... with working EFI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back