Contribute
Register

Big Sur on NUC8i3BEH2 > Very high temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH2
CPU
Intel® Core™ i3-8109U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3,60 GHz)
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Hello,

I just did a Big Sur installation on my NUC8i3BEH2, thanks to Zearp' tutorial (here) (god bless him).
It went all very fine except that the temperature of the NUC is high.

It reaches 100°C at boot, then slooooowly decrease to reach about 50°C when doing nothing (my room is actually at about 20°C, CPU at about 3% according to Activity monitor). This 50°C temperature seems to be the lowest possible (if I wait more nothing happens)

But what is strange too is that it increase at more than 80°C when the cpu is at about 9% !!

It’s way too much ! Any idea ?

- in the BIOS I disabled the Intel Turbo Boost Technology, as advised on some forums (it was disabled in my windows 10 config too)
- I haven't tried yet to undervolt or stuffs like that, but I'm surprise because with Windows 10 the NUC was quieter.

Thanks !

Last edited:
What's strange too is that it seems to depend of the app used.

I try to watch a streaming video on Chrome, the CPU goes to about 20%, but the temperature is at 65°C.

Make sure the fan is kicking in I have the Nuc 10 they spin like mad when temps rise but usually cool down pretty quick
also check bios settings on the temps I keep mine on balance for setting

Hi Zappy 39 thanks for your answer

Yes the fan is making a big noise, so I suppose it's doing its job...
I tried differents settings for the fan in the bios but without success.

I tried to undervolt a bit, it works but I win like 10°C, not enough I for me...

I may have found the solution !

I have the NUC8i3BEH2, model 2 as its name says.
And this modele has inside a kind of "cage" (sorry, my English is really bad) to put an 2.5'' HDD.
This cage is quite big, made of metal, and blocs a bit the holes made for the ventilation...

IMG_2701.JPG

As I don't use it (I have a M2 Sata SSD drive), I disconnected the 2 cables and removed that cage of metal...
And tadam ! I won about 40°C o_O

And my NUC became fresh and silent !
Alleluia !

Or maybe...
It's just because I unplugged it do that operation, and it applied settings that wasn't applied without unplug it ?
Mystery... but it work like that so I'm happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back