Contribute
Register

Big Sur Mount system read/write

Status
Not open for further replies.
@valvator nice work finding a solution to this. Your folders look much better than the BS default icons.

Is this the right place to seek help in trying to gain Read/Write Access to Big Sur System Files?

I have a Corsair Commander Pro which is detected by macOS Big Sur (and Catalina) as an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).

There is a previously documented fix for this but it is not easily achieved in Big Sur due to to more complex Read/Write Access Permissions.

'The Corsair Commander Pro, when connected to one of the two internal USB 2.0 headers, may appear to macOS as an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). This may in turn affect sleep and wake behavior. A workaround to this problem can be found by reading this post and the posts referenced within that post.
Credit: @jb007'

#!/bin/sh
while sleep 999999999; do :; done

So the good news is that powerd only cares that ioupsd is running and doesn't look for specific output from it. Replacing ioupsd with the above script is working perfectly. System performance is as-expected (powerd is happy that it sees ioupsd running) and all devices are available for passthrough and control (if desired) to a Win10 VM.

Steps:

1) sudo su -
2) sudo mount -uw / (Mount the root filesystem as RW)
2) cd /usr/libexec
3) mv ioupsd ioupsd.ORIG (Rename ioupsd for safekeeping)
4) Create a new file named "ioupsd" using for favorite editor. Two lines below...that's all you need!

#!/bin/sh

3) Save that file
4) chmod a+x ioupsd (Do a "ls -la ioupsd" and make sure it is readable and executable for everyone)
5) Reboot (must be done to in order to re-mount the root FS as RO)
4) sudo mount -ur / (Mount the root filesystem as RO)

here is my work in progress with my new icons and folders, to change the icons you can use the
@borp99method or this method " ThemeEngine" that works without recovery: https://github.com/jslegendre/ThemeEngine/blob/v3/README.md
Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 17.12.59.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 17.14.13.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 17.14.13.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 17.07.19.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 17.07.19.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 17.11.18.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 17.11.18.png
    803.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 17.10.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 17.10.51.png
    1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
yes but just to disable SIP.
Was wondering whether these changes hold after a point update of Big Sur or do they all revert to the default icons.

Was wondering whether these changes hold after a point update of Big Sur or do they all revert to the default icons.
After the updates the icons are back to the originals, you need to change them again, but as I have a script with the location of my custom icons and the ways to change it is very quick to change it again.

Last edited:
Is this the right place to seek help in trying to gain Read/Write Access to Big Sur System Files?

I have a Corsair Commander Pro which is detected by macOS Big Sur (and Catalina) as an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).

There is a previously documented fix for this but it is not easily achieved in Big Sur due to to more complex Read/Write Access Permissions.

'The Corsair Commander Pro, when connected to one of the two internal USB 2.0 headers, may appear to macOS as an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). This may in turn affect sleep and wake behavior. A workaround to this problem can be found by reading this post and the posts referenced within that post.
Credit: @jb007'

#!/bin/sh

So the good news is that powerd only cares that ioupsd is running and doesn't look for specific output from it. Replacing ioupsd with the above script is working perfectly. System performance is as-expected (powerd is happy that it sees ioupsd running) and all devices are available for passthrough and control (if desired) to a Win10 VM.

Steps:

1) sudo su -
2) sudo mount -uw / (Mount the root filesystem as RW)
2) cd /usr/libexec
3) mv ioupsd ioupsd.ORIG (Rename ioupsd for safekeeping)
4) Create a new file named "ioupsd" using for favorite editor. Two lines below...that's all you need!

#!/bin/sh

3) Save that file
4) chmod a+x ioupsd (Do a "ls -la ioupsd" and make sure it is readable and executable for everyone)
5) Reboot (must be done to in order to re-mount the root FS as RO)
4) sudo mount -ur / (Mount the root filesystem as RO)
Any new knowledge on the subject of gaining read/write access to system files in Big Sur?

Hi, I'm catching up with this topic
I'm also trying to change icons on Bigsur, i've tried the method with ThemeEngine and the Asset.car but it wouldn't save the file..
I only want to change the icon of the Application folder. Any idea how? i've been looking everywhere but can't find an easy solution..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back