Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I was working on updating to Big Sur. My plan was to do a clean install and then import everything from the old drive. I will admit that I am not an expert when it comes to this process, which is why I deeply appreciate the resources available here. At any rate, while I was making my Big Sur installation thumb drive, I (probably) mistakenly updated the Clover on the old drive to the latest version (v5.1 r5127). Now the system will not boot. I may have disturbed the BIOS settings, but I have tried making several changes to that without success. I have a previous version of the old drive as well that was working when I pulled it, but that doesn't work either. There is surely something in either the BIOS or the Clover Boot Manager that is the issue, but I am at a loss to figure that out. Any tips would be great.

If I can get the clean install of Big Sur to work, then I could load back the software from the old drive which is still accessible, but that effort was also unsuccessful. I am concerned that my components may not support Big Sur anyway, so there is that. My profile lists my hardware setup. Barring all of that, I am probably going to bite the bullet and by one of the new Mac Mini's with the M1 chip. I imagine that eventually the MacOS is not going to work on non-Apple hardware anyway. In a separate initiative, I am working on setting up a Linux system to work on a transition over to Open Source for the future. They have some great software for photography, but in the meantime, I don't want to lose the catalog of photos that i have painstakingly organized in Lightroom.

Thanks for your feedback. Happy Holidays!

I was working on updating to Big Sur. My plan was to do a clean install and then import everything from the old drive. I will admit that I am not an expert when it comes to this process, which is why I deeply appreciate the resources available here. At any rate, while I was making my Big Sur installation thumb drive, I (probably) mistakenly updated the Clover on the old drive to the latest version (v5.1 r5127). Now the system will not boot. I may have disturbed the BIOS settings, but I have tried making several changes to that without success. I have a previous version of the old drive as well that was working when I pulled it, but that doesn't work either. There is surely something in either the BIOS or the Clover Boot Manager that is the issue, but I am at a loss to figure that out. Any tips would be great.

If I can get the clean install of Big Sur to work, then I could load back the software from the old drive which is still accessible, but that effort was also unsuccessful. I am concerned that my components may not support Big Sur anyway, so there is that. My profile lists my hardware setup. Barring all of that, I am probably going to bite the bullet and by one of the new Mac Mini's with the M1 chip. I imagine that eventually the MacOS is not going to work on non-Apple hardware anyway. In a separate initiative, I am working on setting up a Linux system to work on a transition over to Open Source for the future. They have some great software for photography, but in the meantime, I don't want to lose the catalog of photos that i have painstakingly organized in Lightroom.

Thanks for your feedback. Happy Holidays!
did you add in all the new booter quirks:
https://github.com/CloverHackyColor...ckage/CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER/config-sample.plist ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back