Contribute
Register

Big Sur Early Adapter > Don’t Rush in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z490 TOMAHAWK MAG
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Guys - I've been tinkering with the Hackintosh scene since S/L and I see the same pattern every time Apple release a new OS X or a new supposedly fast and more efficient Boot-loader is introduced.
Some of us jumps straight into the update or installation without doing any kind of research to see if/what adjustment are needed to incorporate the change from a previous good running system.

Opencore is a super boot loader because it is the closest thing to the Apple System and handles the kernels and kexts just like a real Mac. I feel people who toyed with the idea of moving over to OC from Clover went and took one look and let their eyes dart from item to item instead of actually making an effort to study and drink in what is needed for a stable and solid running machine.

As a matter of fact it is so, so simple to convert from Clover to OC, but one must remember if you have any strange anomalies running on Clover i.e quirky iCloud operation, those will get ported over in the conversion so best to get those fixed before. Research is the golden key here, the OC guide even tells how to convert. It tells and shows how to vanilla install for most CPUs you have in your system as well.

You've gotten too comfortable with Clover and now even that has to rely heavily on OC components to run BS. If you managed to configure Clover to run BS kudos to you but know this, you will always have that battle going forward.
I would advise read the OC Guide, when you think you understand the requirements, formulate an EFI Folder as per the instructions with your current machine's data like S/N, MLB, ROM etc, etc and put this Folder on a test USB Drive that way you won't damage your current running setup.

Don't just jump straight in and think the magic is going to happen like that, Google, research, read. I have seen posts declaring - 'I took a look at OC but too complicated' - WRONG!!!! I say if you can understand and run Clover on your system, there is absolutely nothing complicated about OC but I dare say this post will be seen by some like the OC Guide - Too many Words, too much reading, can't be bothered.

Enjoy your Hack what ever Boot-loader you managed Big Sur with.

Guys - I've been tinkering with the Hackintosh scene since S/L and I see the same pattern every time Apple release a new OS X or a new supposedly fast and more efficient Boot-loader is introduced.
Some of us jumps straight into the update or installation without doing any kind of research to see if/what adjustment are needed to incorporate the change from a previous good running system.

Opencore is a super boot loader because it is the closest thing to the Apple System and handles the kernels and kexts just like a real Mac. I feel people who toyed with the idea of moving over to OC from Clover went and took one look and let their eyes dart from item to item instead of actually making an effort to study and drink in what is needed for a stable and solid running machine.

As a matter of fact it is so, so simple to convert from Clover to OC, but one must remember if you have any strange anomalies running on Clover i.e quirky iCloud operation, those will get ported over in the conversion so best to get those fixed before. Research is the golden key here, the OC guide even tells how to convert. It tells and shows how to vanilla install for most CPUs you have in your system as well.

You've gotten too comfortable with Clover and now even that has to rely heavily on OC components to run BS. If you managed to configure Clover to run BS kudos to you but know this, you will always have that battle going forward.
I would advise read the OC Guide, when you think you understand the requirements, formulate an EFI Folder as per the instructions with your current machine's data like S/N, MLB, ROM etc, etc and put this Folder on a test USB Drive that way you won't damage your current running setup.

Don't just jump straight in and think the magic is going to happen like that, Google, research, read. I have seen posts declaring - 'I took a look at OC but too complicated' - WRONG!!!! I say if you can understand and run Clover on your system, there is absolutely nothing complicated about OC but I dare say this post will be seen by some like the OC Guide - Too many Words, too much reading, can't be bothered.

Enjoy your Hack what ever Boot-loader you managed BS with.
i have tried a couple of times, and i simply cant get it to work. Seeing how everything switches over to open core, and more and more people refuses to help with clover issues - im considering just leaving hackintosh behind for good.

i have tried a couple of times, and i simply cant get it to work. Seeing how everything switches over to open core, and more and more people refuses to help with clover issues - im considering just leaving hackintosh behind for good.
check out my post #413

The reason for this trend is that only OpenCore can deal with Big Sur. Clover since r5123 is embedded with OC and becomes much more complicated to maintain. There have been so many cases that Clover users failed to boot due to the drastic changes of config.plist and lacking OpenRuntime.efi.

The reason for this trend is that only OpenCore can deal with Big Sur. Clover since r5123 is embedded with OC and becomes much more complicated to maintain. There have been so many cases that Clover users failed to boot due to the drastic changes of config.plist and lacking OpenRuntime.efi.
I installed OpenRunTime from the customize section of the Clover 5126 installer.

hackintosh's endgame has already started, so you don't want to learn OC then might just as well.
I have little technical knowledge, if any, and nevertheless managed to install Big Sur using Opencore, I personally thinks it's non-trivial, but using the guide and actually sticking to it works really well. Just follow the steps, everything is explained in detail, it's very much like following a recipe.

I was just wondering what's next, considering hackintoshing is apparently nearing an end. There might be a couple more OSs ahead for us to hack, but probably no more than two. Then what, stick to WIN/Linux ??

I really hate the fact that Apple is watching everything I do, I'm actually having second thoughts about buying a new Apple Silicon MBP. I just installed Ubuntu on my 2012 MBP and it runs quite well, and is not running the fans like mad compared to what it was doing with Catalina. Maybe I'll stick to "Old Tech" for a while, and see how the privacy thing sorts out. Same with my iPhone, a 6S, works fine, has all I need, no need for a change.

I wonder if there'll be a way to stop the spying/snitching. I'm pretty sure Apple is aware we all have hackintoshes by now running Big Sur.

I have little technical knowledge, if any, and nevertheless managed to install Big Sur using Opencore, I personally thinks it's non-trivial, but using the guide and actually sticking to it works really well. Just follow the steps, everything is explained in detail, it's very much like following a recipe.

I was just wondering what's next, considering hackintoshing is apparently nearing an end. There might be a couple more OSs ahead for us to hack, but probably no more than two. Then what, stick to WIN/Linux ??

I really hate the fact that Apple is watching everything I do, I'm actually having second thoughts about buying a new Apple Silicon MBP. I just installed Ubuntu on my 2012 MBP and it runs quite well, and is not running the fans like mad compared to what it was doing with Catalina. Maybe I'll stick to "Old Tech" for a while, and see how the privacy thing sorts out. Same with my iPhone, a 6S, works fine, has all I need, no need for a change.

I wonder if there'll be a way to stop the spying/snitching. I'm pretty sure Apple is aware we all have hackintoshes by now running Big Sur.

Then what, stick to WIN/Linux ??

I really hate the fact that Apple is watching everything I do, I'm actually having second thoughts about buying a new Apple Silicon MBP. I just installed Ubuntu on my 2012 MBP and it runs quite well, and is not running the fans like mad compared to what it was doing with Catalina.

If you treat the PC as like a standalone thing, then sure Linux is logical, so you get the Unix shell and all.

But the main thing is the Apple ecosystem integration, you'll lose all that no matter where you go.

I predict there will be quite an amount of Hackintoshers getting real Macs down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back