Contribute
Register

Big delay during boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the issue would have been specific to a selection of real Mac systems, and only became evident when upgrading to Monterey. This explains the lack of similar reports from Hackintosh communities.
Yep. The issue for hackintosh is apparently Trim duration leading to long load times. I personally don't care about adding a minute or two to the boot time, if it leads to a complete trim at boot... so I set my SetApfsTrimTimeout quirk to 4294967295.

I am still, however, going to wait for the next version of Monterey, just to be sure.

Hi @macntosh -- I hope the WD SN750 works! I just got a 2TB and will be installing Monterey on it when I have a chance. It will be a big production though I have to take apart my rig just to get at the M2 slot! I think they should change the Buying Guide to reflect these problems with the Samsung. I bought the Samsung EVO specifically because I thought they were the most compatible with the Hackintosh, and they command premium pricing too!
Just an update, I finally got around to a fresh install of Monterey on the WD SN750. Holy smokes, the boot time is super fast. Before it used to crawl to the point when it loaded the 6900XT drivers. Now it only takes a few seconds. Not sure if it is the fresh install or the NVMe or a combo of both.

Yep. The issue for hackintosh is apparently Trim duration leading to long load times. I personally don't care about adding a minute or two to the boot time, if it leads to a complete trim at boot... so I set my SetApfsTrimTimeout quirk to 4294967295.

I am still, however, going to wait for the next version of Monterey, just to be sure.
If your drive happens to be a Samsung 970 EVO (NVMe) drive, there's a link to the latest Samsung firmware at Dortania's Anti-Hackintosh Buyer's Guide. The firmware is said to correct the TRIM issue with that particular drive, but (and this is an educated guess) you would probably need to scrub the drive before installing Monterey, for the firmware to be effective. That would necessarily preclude a direct upgrade via AppStore in this instance.

Update: Apparently, the aforementioned firmware is not applicable.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your drive happens to be a Samsung 970 EVO (NVMe) drive, there's a link to the latest Samsung firmware at Dortania's Anti-Hackintosh Buyer's Guide. The firmware is said to correct the TRIM issue with that particular drive, but (and this is an educated guess) you would probably need to scrub the drive before installing Monterey, for the firmware to be effective. That would necessarily preclude a direct upgrade via AppStore in this instance.

If yours is a different drive then this might be of interest.

Cheers.

I think the firmware mentioned that only prevents kernel panics. I don't know if it fixes the Trim issue.

If yours is a different drive then this might be of interest.

Cheers.

Couple things to clarify,
1. The model of the Samsung SSD mentioned in the link is 970 Evo PLUS, which, generally, has compatibility issue with macOs. The firmware upgrade of this particular model is to resolve compatibility issue with macOs. It is nothing to do with current Trim issue that we are discussing here.
2. Samsung 960/970 Evo/Pro suffered from slow boot in Monterey is caused by TRIM issue. There is no report of upgrading firmware to solve the issue. The fresh install on those drives may temporary suppress the symptom of slow boot, however, the issue may re-surface after substantial usage due to broke TRIM implementation between macOs and the NMVe.

Couple things to clarify,
1. The model of the Samsung SSD mentioned in the link is 970 Evo PLUS, which, generally, has compatibility issue with macOs. The firmware upgrade of this particular model is to resolve compatibility issue with macOs. It is nothing to do with current Trim issue that we are discussing here.
2. Samsung 960/970 Evo/Pro suffered from slow boot in Monterey is caused by TRIM issue. There is no report of upgrading firmware to solve the issue. The fresh install on those drives may temporary suppress the symptom of slow boot, however, the issue may re-surface after substantial usage due to broke TRIM implementation between macOs and the NMVe.
Good to know. Clarification is always good.

In short, the underlying problem remains, regardless.

Update: I've updated the few posts [of mine] which may suggest the contrary; not wishing to propagate misleading information.

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone confirm simillar problem with first aid?
View attachment 532570
I have the similar problem on my Samsung NVME 970 Pro, which was Big Sur updated to Monterey. Also noted this on a Samsung SSD 860 Pro on which I run High Sierra so I can use some 32 bit programs and curiously enough also with my Sandisk Ultra usb install disc for Big Sur. This is via Disc Utility in Monterey and all these drives had their EFI created in earlier versions of OSX. I then formatted another USB install disc using Monterey as a Monterey Install disc and DU saw no issues with my EFI. It seemed to boot up the install program in about a minute which is probably normal for an install disc. There was a time lag in Big Sur around the point of ignoring kextcache but not nearly as long as the current lag. I just wonder if there has been a change in the EFI partition that Monterey and perhaps older vesrsions of Big Sur were looking for and hence the delay. In previous versions of OSX DU saw no problems with these drives or their EFI's. Perhaps explains why clean installs presumably using a USB with Monterey have no problems regardless the brand of NVME.

Just an update, I finally got around to a fresh install of Monterey on the WD SN750. Holy smokes, the boot time is super fast. Before it used to crawl to the point when it loaded the 6900XT drivers. Now it only takes a few seconds. Not sure if it is the fresh install or the NVMe or a combo of both.
Good to hear. What were you using before as your boot drive?

Good to hear. What were you using before as your boot drive?
The NVME 970 Samsung which i just did the basic update to Monterey on. I have too much stuff on this drive to consider a fresh install. Monterey actually seems quite crisp and fast once it boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back