EVGA GeForce 210
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had everything running great!!!!!! Then i took things apart to manage the cables and tidy things up. After i was finished i turned the computer back on and suddenly it just enters an endless cycle of turning on and off. I did not plug the cpu fan in correctly and did not realize it. The cooler was still attached but no fan. I ran it for about 5 minutes this way. I have removed all the ram sticks but one, tried swapping them out, re-checked all connections removed all cards, reset the bios, removed the battery, etc, still an endless cycle. I have had cpu's overheat before, the computer just shut itself down until the cpu cooled down then everything was all right. The question is, is it my mobo, my psu or my cpu and how do I find out? :(

I had everything running great!!!!!! Then i took things apart to manage the cables and tidy things up. After i was finished i turned the computer back on and suddenly it just enters an endless cycle of turning on and off. I did not plug the cpu fan in correctly and did not realize it. The cooler was still attached but no fan. I ran it for about 5 minutes this way. I have removed all the ram sticks but one, tried swapping them out, re-checked all connections removed all cards, reset the bios, removed the battery, etc, still an endless cycle. I have had cpu's overheat before, the computer just shut itself down until the cpu cooled down then everything was all right. The question is, is it my mobo, my psu or my cpu and how do I find out? :(

citydog

I think your issue is a perphial device like a DVD or Hard Disk
and it is either a DATA cable or a power cable that maybe shorting out and clamping the Powersupply ( turning off) and then restarting (turning on).
Suggest you remove all of the cables from the Motherboard except for the cables to the panel controls Power Button / reset switch LEDs and the main power cables to the Motherboard 24 pin and the 8 pin.

Now if you did remove these main cables to do some re-arrangements then this could be the problem and you may want to remove and reconnect them.

Also remove all PCIe cards

You can even remove the ram and the unit should turn on and beep- the system will not power off for no memory and beep if you have a speaker connected to the Motherboard.

Make sure you remove the AC cord from the PS when you pull cables the power supply provides standby power to the motherboard when the 24 pin wire assembly is attached to the Motherboard.

Right now I have only the CPU and one stick of RAM connected, nothing else.

Right now I have only the CPU and one stick of RAM connected, nothing else.

Is it doing the same as before - turning itself off.

Do you get any Beeps etc or get any action on the display monitor indicating the POST if working,

If not you have a dead CPU and time to call Intel for warranty.

Of course it could be the Motherboard so you need to figure out which it is.

You may need to have your dealer test the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back