Contribute
Register

Big Bertha's Big Brother:Asus Z10PE-D8 WS Dual Xeon Broadwell v4 CPU's 64GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Martin
I have a perfect working system with one 2696 v4 with 128 Gb (asus z10pe D16 WS)
I know of 64 threads limitation but I read as you write that someone had succes to hack kernel
Do you refer about 3f patch on cpu init?
If not could you point me in the right direction?

Thank you

You mention you have a working Z10PE D16 WS, can you share the working DSDT and some tips? I found the price of Z10PE D16 WS is lower than Z10PE D8 WS, really strange ...

Thanks!

@mysticmerlin - Confirming disabling HT does indeed fix the Nvidia control panel failure :)
I do take a hit on performance with KeyShot depending on the complexity of the scene and materials being rendered but it's not such a hit to make me want to loose the stability and system gain from disabling the hyper threading.
Your FakeCPUID fails here with my chips - Are you using retail cpus or ES/QS ?

Martin

I am using ES stepping A1 chips. I am starting to think that is why my geekbench is so low (29k). With HT on I get 24k. Weird that 1 CPU is 26k and 2 is 29k . With fabio's method #4 I don't need fakecpuid. Bench is the same, stability also. My audio software works just as well without HT and 29k is fine for me, but I'll be investigating and report.

I am using ES stepping A1 chips. I am starting to think that is why my geekbench is so low (29k). With HT on I get 24k. Weird that 1 CPU is 26k and 2 is 29k . With fabio's method #4 I don't need fakecpuid. Bench is the same, stability also. My audio software works just as well without HT and 29k is fine for me, but I'll be investigating and report.
I don't know what stepping my chips are, I will have to try and find out. I am not sure that i know what Fabio's method #4 is, can you link me up ?

Martin

@TpwUK : New year greetings. I have been trying to update this 10.12.1 to 10.12.2 and found a whole lot of new problems.

1. My usb with 5.1 EFI is no more working. Reset and readjust bios. no luck.
2. After the update, I cant get into the login screen even with nv_disable=1. I get repeated errors on SIP. Tried few tricks i found in different threads to disable/enable SIP but no luck.
3. My titanX does only 73FPS in Sierra. under Yosemite it was 94FPS.

Did you face any such problems? Did you managed to update to 10.12.2?

thanks

@TpwUK : New year greetings. I have been trying to update this 10.12.1 to 10.12.2 and found a whole lot of new problems.

1. My usb with 5.1 EFI is no more working. Reset and readjust bios. no luck.
2. After the update, I cant get into the login screen even with nv_disable=1. I get repeated errors on SIP. Tried few tricks i found in different threads to disable/enable SIP but no luck.
3. My titanX does only 73FPS in Sierra. under Yosemite it was 94FPS.

Did you face any such problems? Did you managed to update to 10.12.2?

thanks
Thanks for the New Year greetings, I reciprocate those sentiments and wish you a prosperous 2017.
I did manage to update to 10.12.2 and was able to reboot immediately thereafter. I have since then only discovered that Clover will no longer boot from my SSD and I can now only boot from the USB that was used to originally install 10.12.0. I have not tried re-installing from scratch with a CMOS reset as of yet, but I have removed all EFI partitions from all drives other than the boot drive in preparation to do so.

For your other questions ...
  1. Make sure you have Intel Enabled under the USB configuration. USB still works fine here but won't boot USB3 with CSM Enabled which I have to have set because of the Quadro card
  2. Try agdp=Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86 as a boot argument - another PikeRalpha discovery that seems to work here.
  3. Try doing as we have discussed above with disabling Hyper Threading. There is definitely something amiss with Sierra and HT. It does not seem to be effecting single CPU based systems though, so either -xcpm_ipi or QPI is being handled differently. Although after saying that, we are using chips with no real Apple support at all
Martin

I have not tried anything below 12.2 but that is working fine for me . As mentioned before with ht off and Csm on . I am not allowed to suggest external links but Fabio has clearly outlined 4 solutions for Sierra and Broadwell-E xeons, two of which I have tested and successfully used.

For your other questions ...
  1. Make sure you have Intel Enabled under the USB configuration. USB still works fine here but won't boot USB3 with CSM Enabled which I have to have set because of the Quadro card
  2. Try agdp=Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86 as a boot argument - another PikeRalpha discovery that seems to work here.
  3. Try doing as we have discussed above with disabling Hyper Threading. There is definitely something amiss with Sierra and HT. It does not seem to be effecting single CPU based systems though, so either -xcpm_ipi or QPI is being handled differently. Although after saying that, we are using chips with no real Apple support at all
Martin
Thanks for the tips. Its weird how my USB suddenly stopped booting but all my SSDs with 10.12.1 installed works fine with the EFI. I cloned the drive and copy pasted the EFI into diff ssds to test out and all works fine. But not my USB. I used the same EFI in USB but then it all breaks. Will dig into it further using ur suggestions. currently migrating my raid so stuck for a day.

I sorted out the titanX issue last night. Installed NullCPUPowermanagement and it jumped from 70 to 97FPS as in my Yosemite boxes.

Thanks for the tips. Its weird how my USB suddenly stopped booting but all my SSDs with 10.12.1 installed works fine with the EFI. I cloned the drive and copy pasted the EFI into diff ssds to test out and all works fine. But not my USB. I used the same EFI in USB but then it all breaks. Will dig into it further using ur suggestions. currently migrating my raid so stuck for a day.

I sorted out the titanX issue last night. Installed NullCPUPowermanagement and it jumped from 70 to 97FPS as in my Yosemite boxes.
I just replaced my SSD/EFI with the one from my installer and can confirm this fixes the boot problem - Thanks Dude05

Martin

ca
I just replaced my SSD/EFI with the one from my installer and can confirm this fixes the boot problem - Thanks Dude05

Martin
can u please share the EFI from ur installer boot? I am now thinking may be its my dual Xeons again. I did manage to boot and do a clean install from my dual Xeons after I installed em both. So I was very confident ur 5.1 EFI works great with both xeons installed. Tried and failed. :( Now i am very hesitant to take it out and reinstall since I got 12x hdds, 4xssd raid setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back