1. Apple
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Like the title says, which currently is the best working out of the box card for OSx86? Video cards have been the hardest part for me. Im currently using a 8400gs, but I would like to have a PCI-E card with some ooomf!

Thanks!

radink said:
Like the title says, which currently is the best working out of the box card for OSx86? Video cards have been the hardest part for me. Im currently using a 8400gs, but I would like to have a PCI-E card with some ooomf!

Thanks!
Is this for your Dell? If not, list your current or future system's components.

For what purpose are you going to use this "card with some ooomf!"? Ooomfie cards are typically high end and cost a lot. So, telling us what you use is for your system will dictate our answer.

radink said:

Thanks!

In my experience, GTX 480, 470, 285, 280, 275, 260. All are working just with drivers.

It is with the Dell.

I guess I want better in OS performance but possibly some light gaming as well.

lukarak said:
In my experience, GTX 480, 470, 285, 280, 275, 260. All are working just with drivers.

I see your sig also mentioned you're running the GTX480 card. No "fermi freeze" on that one? It seems the 2xx series from what I've read are pretty stable, but apparently hard to find.

Mine is wrong too. Using a 8400GS... will fix.

I had a GT240 (not GTX) that I couldn't get to work with any resolutions.

Update:

I reinserted my GT240 and it works. The steps to get the 8400 working must work for the GT240 as well. I used the tonymac Nvidia update.

radink said:
I reinserted my GT240 and it works. The steps to get the 8400 working must work for the GT240 as well. I used the tonymac Nvidia update.

What install guide are you using to get that working, if you don't mind my asking. Or do you have your own process that worked? I'm in the market for a card and I'd like to know whether the 2xx or 4xx series is worth getting based on the current nVidia driver set. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back