Contribute
Register

Best way to view boot errors / kernal panics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus B250I
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
1050 Ti
I had success loading High Sierra installer and reaching the desktop, but after running Multibeast I get a kernal panic on reboot.
When I attempt to boot with verbose mode and get it to not automatically restart, I don't find the leftover screen text very informative (since the error has since been scrolled past).

If I cannot actually boot into the system and read them there, how else could I collect logs?
(also, using a NVMe 960 EVO and cannot remove it to read on a different computer - I've implemented Rehabman's NVMe advice).

Is my best option to go through the shell in the Clover boot menu, or maybe a linux live usb to read the log recorded somewhere?
Otherwise I'm at a loss and can't provide anything meaningful in order to get feedback.

I had success loading High Sierra installer and reaching the desktop, but after running Multibeast I get a kernal panic on reboot.
When I attempt to boot with verbose mode and get it to not automatically restart, I don't find the leftover screen text very informative (since the error has since been scrolled past).

If I cannot actually boot into the system and read them there, how else could I collect logs?
(also, using a NVMe 960 EVO and cannot remove it to read on a different computer - I've implemented Rehabman's NVMe advice).

Is my best option to go through the shell in the Clover boot menu, or maybe a linux live usb to read the log recorded somewhere?
Otherwise I'm at a loss and can't provide anything meaningful in order to get feedback.
Since Multibeast mainly installs the Clover Bootloader + kexts ( Audio+Network+ USB) and configures the Graphics + gives a System definition which will be usually the same as in the Installer disk unless user changes it) we can anticipate problems from any of these and by probability rule out at least a few of them and narrow down to one or two as possible reasons for the KP.
Since you seem to say that the KP is occurring after the disk boots from Clover Boot Manager screen as you are using Verbose boot temporarily from CBM screen, you can check a few other things while at the CBM screen.
  • You can check from CBM >Options> the Boot Args from current CLOVER/ config. plist.
  • You can check your Mac Product Name ( (System Definition) from "SMBIOS",
  • You can check the Video from the "Graphics Injector"->
  • Based on this you can narrow down the cause of anticipated KP
  • If you suspect it must be a change in System Definition you can change it to what was in the USB installer by deleting current and typing in the one from USB installer that worked.
  • Similarly you can disable (uncheck) Video if that is the possible cause or [√] the one from the installer
  • if none of that is helping, you can try verbose and safe mode boot with -v and -x.
  • Another option is to use your USB installer to boot to CBM and switch to System Disk and see.
  • Once you can reach desktop you can run MultiBeast again or manually install kexts and use clover configurator vibrant to install new Clover and edit it and its config.plist.
  • I think the only way to get Boot log is to reach desktop and run "Console" from Applications>Utilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back