Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am wondering what is the best way to run a VM of windows on my Hackintosh.

Thanks in advance

Well, I tried Fusion but it this is not a viable option as I was going to do a Windows VM to play games. Any other options for gaming besides dual booting? Mac just doesnt utilize the GPU as much as Windows.

Dlauth said:
Well, I tried Fusion but it this is not a viable option as I was going to do a Windows VM to play games. Any other options for gaming besides dual booting? Mac just doesnt utilize the GPU as much as Windows.

id suggest dual boot it, use bootcamp in other words AND use that partition with Parallels Desktop, I left Fusion a year ago and im way happier with Parallels in its place. Ive only done this on a real mac where it worked perfect. Parallels is definitely better with games dont expect to get as good as real windows of course. Mind you there are alot of native games coming out on both PC and OSX these days.

Ive ran the game on both windows and mac. It just seems it runs alot better on windows. I am talking about CSS. This is without overclocking or anything. I also do not like how you can not overclock a GPU in mac.

Trying to play Valve's games on Mac OS is a horrifying experience. The mouse physics is the worst thing, but performance sucks too.

I'd recommend just running Windows off a spare HDD.

Vmware Fusion is about the best you'll get for 3D support in a VM. And even that's pretty poor for gaming. You can't really expect a VM to be good at running games.

FunkTrooper said:
Trying to play Valve's games on Mac OS is a horrifying experience. The mouse physics is the worst thing, but performance sucks too.

I'd recommend just running Windows off a spare HDD.

Vmware Fusion is about the best you'll get for 3D support in a VM. And even that's pretty poor for gaming. You can't really expect a VM to be good at running games.

It must just be you, as I've had nothing but great experiences playing Valve games on my Hack.

I found Parallels to have quite decent 3D support. I was playing Far Cry on pretty decent settings in it.

I have been doing a lot of reading up on this and I found a lot of people like Parallels. I can't find it but there is a good youtube video showing the duel booting of OSX and Win7.
They use Parallels to run OSX, Win7, Chrome and Linux. The guy played games and said that he would have to load only WIn7 to run games because if you have it in Parallels it is basically a virtual PC and doesn't use all of the systems potential. So in other words I guess it's good to run Parallels while using multiple running apps for diff OS's because you can drag and drop between the two OS's but to run Win7 alone to game on to get your hardware's full potential. At least this is what I got while trying to look up all this myself in the last several weeks lol I hope this helps. I will say though I am still a noob at all of this and still in full learning mode. If I am wrong please point me in the right direction :)

Adam

I highly recommend parallels, I love all the options it has, I havent done any gaming yet but I get a 600 point mark with nova bench, allowing it 4 of my 8 gigs, which isn't bad for a an os running on an os, but I may dual boot in the future

I've been using Parallels for a couple of years, and it's been pretty solid for me, and I can easily forget i'm in a VM at times. Both VMWare and Virtualbox can do the job, but they've got some catching up to do. It's still amazing you can get a product like Virtualbox for free, tho. For those who don't care bout 3D, and only occationally need to boot a VM, Virtualbox could easily more than sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back