CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 780 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My hackintosh has a 128GB OS X Lion SSD and a 64G Win7 SSD in dual boot.

I have a 1TB data Drive I would like to share between them. This drive was NTFS formatted and I tried NTFS-3G but it doesn't play with Lion well, and I don't want to pay for a solution. So I backed up the data and have decided to make the drive an OSX format drive. I did some seaching, but few threads came up.

What format should I use? Ideally I will store all my iTunes music, movies, documents etc here. I will also be storing backups on the drive.

Should I make multiple partitions? One for data storage, and one for backups? Should I make a small partition NTFS for Windows storage (I don't think I will need it since I can just "read" the OSX partition, and the Windows 7 SSD is mainly for system tuning and maybe a game or two).

What do you all do?

valkeriefire said:
My hackintosh has a 128GB OS X Lion SSD and a 64G Win7 SSD in dual boot.

I have a 1TB data Drive I would like to share between them. This drive was NTFS formatted and I tried NTFS-3G but it doesn't play with Lion well, and I don't want to pay for a solution. So I backed up the data and have decided to make the drive an OSX format drive. I did some seaching, but few threads came up.

What format should I use? Ideally I will store all my iTunes music, movies, documents etc here. I will also be storing backups on the drive.

Should I make multiple partitions? One for data storage, and one for backups? Should I make a small partition NTFS for Windows storage (I don't think I will need it since I can just "read" the OSX partition, and the Windows 7 SSD is mainly for system tuning and maybe a game or two).

What do you all do?

You have to format 2 partitions:
1. For Mac os x back up
2. MS-Doc

First , open the time machine and pick up your 1T drive and ( I prefer Encryption) check encryption and time machine asks you to format the drive and pick 2 partitons and
one for Mac OS Extended .... and another one for MS-Doc (for window) . You can adjust the size of the partition. So put all your itunes stuffs on MS-Doc so that you can access from both window and mac os .

If you don't want encryption , fire up disk utility and makes two partition as I mention above.

Maybe you could try formatting the drive with ExFat. I can't personally vouch for that format, but apparently, both Windows and Mac OS X support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back