i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-7010-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-0001-2K1R1

This is the Dell Optiplex 7010 USFF from Newegg Seller Revive IT in Arizona, USA.

1576501164950.png

These are a little larger and heavier than the Mac mini. They still don't take up much space on your desktop. They have an excellent gold rated internal 200W power supply that is quiet. The case and CPU fans are relatively quiet too. You can even install a half mini PCIe wifi and BT card and connect an antenna to get Airplay/Continuity and Handoff to work.

The included i3-3220 CPU doesn't have HD4000 graphics but there is a simple way to remedy that. Replace it with the i3-3225 which can be purchased on Ebay now for 10 USD or less. All that you have to do is remove the heatsink, install the CPU and replace the thermal compound on the CPU IHS. You'll also want to replace the CMOS battery while the cooler is removed. You can't access that battery with the cooler in place.

The CPU can be upgraded to an i7-3770S and the ram up to 16GB if need be. At the above i3-3225/4GB configuration it's meant for an internet surfing media consumption hackintosh. A low cost SSD will help speed things up but if the end user is not in a big hurry the 1TB HDD will be just fine. For 5 dollars more you can get the 128GB SSD option instead of the HDD.

Screen_Shot_37.png

If you will keep 15 or more tabs open in Chrome or Safari while surfing the internet you may want to upgrade to a 16GB ram kit. 4GB of ram won't suffice for using it with more than 4-5 tabs open. Prices for 16GB kits are very reasonable.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076W9Q5A/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The one last cable you may need with this is a full size DP to HDMI cable which is easily purchased on Newegg or Amazon for 8 USD or less. Don't use VGA as it's not supported by macOS.

For directions on how to install Mojave on this Dell see:

Last edited:
The 7010 is my favorite from the three I own. A Hp 6300pro, Dell Opitimac 9020 and the Dell 7010. It’s my everyday machine, I rarely have problems with it and it does what I want it to do. A really good machine ideal for Hackintosh.

I rarely have problems with it and it does what I want it to do. A really good machine ideal for Hackintosh.
Have to agree. The Q77/Z77 chipsets are the most highly compatible with macOS ever. You can get the closest to the experience of running macOS on native Apple hardware. I don't know if the HD4000 gfx will have coninued support after Catalina but at this price if you can use one of these minis with macOS for the next 3-4 years it's a really good deal. After four years it will still run Linux quite easily or you can install Chrome OS and keep it going longer. Chrome OS is 100% supported as you can determine on the CloudReady website. https://guide.neverware.com/supported-devices/#DellOptiplex7010

Screen Shot 32.jpg

Most all used 2012 Mac minis with HD4000 start at 200 USD on Ebay. You can't upgrade those 2-4 core laptop CPUs either. For a very small 100 USD investment you can't beat the value this Dell model provides.

Last edited:
Here's a price comparison of the above $100 CustoMac mini to a new mini-itx build.

New Mini-ITX case $50 + https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007583 600536464&d=mini itx case&Order=PRICE
New Mini-ITX motherboard $100 + https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=mini+itx+H370

New Core i3-8100 $129 + https://www.newegg.com/core-i3-8th-gen-intel-core-i3-8100/p/N82E16819117822

With those three main components you're already at $279 and you need to add ram, storage and an expensive SFX power supply. It's very difficult to do any new Mini-ITX budget build for under $500.

Here is the HP equivalent to the Dell 7010 USFF. Price is similar but you get a Core i5 CPU. What you will need to do is swap that 3470S out for an i5-3475S cpu that does have HD4000 graphics. Again, buy one on Ebay. Cost is < 20 USD

s-l500.jpg

Screen Shot 9.jpg

You do also need to buy the 135W external power brick by HP to power this. Find one on Ebay for 15-16 dollars.

For an install guide see the ones by Sniki for the HP 8300 for Mojave or Catalina.

Last edited:
The 7010 is my favorite from the three I own. A Hp 6300pro, Dell Opitimac 9020 and the Dell 7010. It’s my everyday machine, I rarely have problems with it and it does what I want it to do. A really good machine ideal for Hackintosh.
Late to the conversation (been away for a bit) but DITTO to @craighazan comment. Love this form factor. AND I only recently discovered/learned that the Windows 7 license key is on a pull-out "tab" and now I can dual-boot with a licensed copy of Windows 10 (you know, just in case). I am really tempted to pick up a second, but I think it would be proof that I have a problem :).

Also I discovered a government surplus seller on eBay with high scores, techredosurplus. Not affiliated to me. They have several 9020/7010's starting at $20, shipping between $12-$25. Various configurations and form factors abound!, with a great selection of other goodies too.

Last edited:
Also I discovered a government surplus seller on eBay with high scores, techredosurplus. Not affiliated to me. They have several 9020/7010's starting at $20, shipping between $12-$25. Various configurations and form factors abound!, with a great selection of other goodies too.
I bought 3 of my Optiplex's from that seller. I will say this: each one was very well packaged, and I believe I got each one at a fair price at the time, but always around $120-150. And I stopped shopping because I felt, with no proof, that I was always bidding against a shill-bidder. The computer would sit at the low starting price even up to the last hour, and then I'd place a bid and in the latter two instances the bids would immediately come in to make the price over $100. Again, the PC was well packaged, never any damage, and was clean and exactly what was described so I am satisfied with my purchases. AND I will even now consider looking at another USFF from them, and perhaps see if I can get one below $100 :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back