Contribute
Register

Best pre-built retail desktop for hackintosh??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
custo
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K
Graphics
Onboard Intel HD4000/Nvidia 650 ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Are there currently any ideal candidates for desktops by Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc., that would work well for hackintoshing? I'm about to buy 15 or so PCs for the school I work at, and it would be great if I could give some teachers the Mac option. I've already built my own, but I can't exactly order 15 sets of components. It doesn't look like there are any DSDTs for consumer brand PCs?

None of the pre-builts are easily hackable.

You are better off dropping that idea or build custom systems with known fully supported components.

with prebuilt computers, its always going to be a compromise. you cant pick and choose each component, so the likelihood of everything being ideal is slim.
that being said, its pretty much a given that most pcs nowadays, even prebuilt, will run osx. where you might have an issue is the audio and lan controller.
you can replace both of those with addons, a usb audo device and a pcie lan card if necessary.

when it comes to building for a school, id advise against it personally.
if you leave those pcs as windows systems, if theres a fault its the manufacturers fault.
if you install osx onto them, and theres a fault, its your fault. is it worth taking that risk with your reputation (guessing youre the IT bod at the school?) just so teachers can use osx? if they want to use osx, get the school to stump up for a few mac minis, with the view to replacing the whole line up with macs.

just because you have built your own system, doesnt mean you are cut out to manage 15. by asking if there about ideal candidates and premade edited dsdts, it just shows that you arent at that level imo.

Not really sure that buying 15 odd Hackintoshs to use in a school is a terribly clever idea. Why not consider the Mac Mini or iMac instead. I think schools get the educational discount buying direct from Apple do they not?

with prebuilt computers, its always going to be a compromise. you cant pick and choose each component, so the likelihood of everything being ideal is slim.
that being said, its pretty much a given that most pcs nowadays, even prebuilt, will run osx. where you might have an issue is the audio and lan controller.
you can replace both of those with addons, a usb audo device and a pcie lan card if necessary.

when it comes to building for a school, id advise against it personally.
if you leave those pcs as windows systems, if theres a fault its the manufacturers fault.
if you install osx onto them, and theres a fault, its your fault. is it worth taking that risk with your reputation (guessing youre the IT bod at the school?) just so teachers can use osx? if they want to use osx, get the school to stump up for a few mac minis, with the view to replacing the whole line up with macs.

just because you have built your own system, doesnt mean you are cut out to manage 15. by asking if there about ideal candidates and premade edited dsdts, it just shows that you arent at that level imo.

Not only that, but it's one thing to violate an end user license agreement technicality for your personal use; it's another thing altogether to do it (in bulk) for an organization.

OK, just wondering. I didn't need your insult about what level I'm at, or the assumption of my intentions. I said I'd like to give a few teachers THE OPTION, not deploy all of them as Macs. And please save the BS about violating the EULA, you've obviously done that if you're on this forum.

go ahead and do it then.

OK, just wondering. I didn't need your insult about what level I'm at, or the assumption of my intentions. I said I'd like to give a few teachers THE OPTION, not deploy all of them as Macs. And please save the BS about violating the EULA, you've obviously done that if you're on this forum.

No need to be so hostile. I didn't say I haven't violated the EULA, I was saying that the organization you work for could potentially get in legal trouble for violating it, and I'm guessing based on what you said that you don't have the authority within your organization to take that risk for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back