Contribute
Register

Best PCIe Ethernet NIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those two kexts should not cause any issues.
Ok I’ll return this one and order another one, hopefully it works. How long have you had your nic? I’ve heard some people saying there was bad thermals on the card. Curious if you have experienced that as well.

@pastrychef Well, I found something interesting. When I boot up into Win10, it detects the AQC107 card and works fine with no issues. But it still doesn’t work on Catalina...I may have to do a fresh Catalina install if I can’t find a way to get it to work. :banghead:

The other odd thing is my wake on lan issue that keeps re-enabling itself after I disable it and causes my computer to turn on after I shutdown (either macOS or Win10) will stop doing that once the AQC107 card is removed. There’s one other thing that I haven’t tried yet and it’s to disable the onboard NIC. I wonder if @CaseySJ has had any issues or heard of any like this with the Z390 Designare MoBo?

Ok I’ll return this one and order another one, hopefully it works. How long have you had your nic? I’ve heard some people saying there was bad thermals on the card. Curious if you have experienced that as well.

I've been using my card for quite a long time with no issues. I have never tried to check on the temps.

@pastrychef Well, I found something interesting. When I boot up into Win10, it detects the AQC107 card and works fine with no issues. But it still doesn’t work on Catalina...I may have to do a fresh Catalina install if I can’t find a way to get it to work. :banghead:

The other odd thing is my wake on lan issue that keeps re-enabling itself after I disable it and causes my computer to turn on after I shutdown (either macOS or Win10) will stop doing that once the AQC107 card is removed. There’s one other thing that I haven’t tried yet and it’s to disable the onboard NIC. I wonder if @CaseySJ has had any issues or heard of any like this with the Z390 Designare MoBo?

If you are using OpenCore, make sure config.plist > Kernel > Quirks > DisableIoMapper is enabled.

If you are using OpenCore, make sure config.plist > Kernel > Quirks > DisableIoMapper is enabled.
Thanks @pastrychef, I did check and that was Enabled. I've attached my config.plist if you wouldn't mind taking a peek.

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.3 KB · Views: 55
I don't see anything that can cause the NIC to not work.
Darn, ok well thanks for checking, I do appreciate it. I'll try to update my bios and if that doesn't fix it I'll do a fresh Catalina install, if that still doesn't work then I'm not sure what to say at that point. I'll just send this NIC back I guess. Any other NIC's you can suggest that have native support on Catalina?

It's supper odd that my computer wont actually shut down with this NIC installed, it will just start up again after I hit shut down, but after I remove it then it shuts down fine.

Darn, ok well thanks for checking, I do appreciate it. I'll try to update my bios and if that doesn't fix it I'll do a fresh Catalina install, if that still doesn't work then I'm not sure what to say at that point. I'll just send this NIC back I guess. Any other NIC's you can suggest that have native support on Catalina?

It's supper odd that my computer wont actually shut down with this NIC installed, it will just start up again after I hit shut down, but after I remove it then it shuts down fine.

I have a list of confirmed working cards on post #3 of my Z390 thread. Link is below in my signature.

I don't know why it causes your system to start up after a shut down... Have you tried a different PCI-e slot?

I have a list of confirmed working cards on post #3 of my Z390 thread. Link is below in my signature.

I don't know why it causes your system to start up after a shut down... Have you tried a different PCI-e slot?
That is one other thing I was thinking about trying, however right now I’m running my 2080 Ti on the top slot and my RX 580 on the bottom slot. In between I have a three fan cooler to cool my 2080Ti as it runs somewhat hot even if it’s not used in macOS. My only available option right now is to try and use the slot in the middle. Until I can build a dedicated macOS ONLY machine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 65
Hi @pastrychef

Ok so I have reinstalled a clean macOS version of Catalina and ordered the

Synology 10Gb Ethernet Adapter 1 RJ45 Port (E10G18-T1)

The card again works on windows but on macOS Catalina it doesn’t even detect it. However this card doesn’t restart my system as soon as I shut it down it just doesn’t detect it. Anything that you can think of? I just don’t understand why it wouldn’t detect it since the AQC107 is supposed to be natively supported. The frustrating issue is the i211 & i219 Ethernet ports keep bouncing and I can’t think of any reason why other than they are bad ports as it does that too in windows but unfortunately it is too late to return the mobo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back