i5 4690K Haswell
Graphics
nVidia GTX 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Greetings forum

I have a setup with three disks: two SSDs (one for mac OS to do everything, another for Windows 10 to game) and a HDD (2TB for data). My current solution to store files (have the 2TB in NTFS, move big files as needed from mac OS to Windows) won't be working anymore as I will start sharing the PC and I need some information (like music or photos) to be shared among both operating systems.

What's the best solution to do this? I know there are drivers for NTFS and HFS+ for all operating systems but last time I tried to use one of this (NTFS 3G around 8 years ago) I lost all my photos so I don't trust them, but maybe things have changed.

What's the advice here?

Regards

Your best solution would be a server build or a NAS off-line storage.

Buy another cheap 1 or 2tb HD and use that for the MAC osx storage drive. Use the other one for the Windows Storage drive. Safest option.

Buy another cheap 1 or 2tb HD and use that for the MAC osx storage drive. Use the other one for the Windows Storage drive. Safest option.
Does not address the sharing of files between Mac OS & Windows. Needs a file system readable by both without need of a 3rd party app, which limits you to FAT32 which limits the drive size and the file size - not an optimum solution.

exFAT doesn't have the limitations of FAT32 and should work for what your trying to do. To get it to work for both Windows and Mac OS, I think you have to format it to exFAT using Mac OS.

exFAT doesn't have the limitations of FAT32 and should work for what your trying to do. To get it to work for both Windows and Mac OS, I think you have to format it to exFAT using Mac OS.
exFAT is a file system developed for flash drives and has little or no resilience which means that the slightest error can result in the loss of all of your data. Sharing the drive between operating systems multiplies the risk of corruption.
If you value your data do not use exFAT.

Does not address the sharing of files between Mac OS & Windows. Needs a file system readable by both without need of a 3rd party app, which limits you to FAT32 which limits the drive size and the file size - not an optimum solution.
You don't have much of a choice...Either buy a hard drive for each so they each can use extra storage. And if you want to be able to share files between OS using these drives, and you want it to be painless, you will need Third party software that can write to NTFS partitions. I've these myself and have no problems, you can google the tops ones and try which ever out yourself. EXFAT and FAT are complete trash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back