Contribute
Register

best motherboard for TOSLINK support on hackintosh ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OS X
CPU
2,2 Ghz
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Wich will be the best motherboard for TOSLINK support ?

I've got to choose on MB from this two :
"Z77X-UD5H" I've read somme bads comments about sound on this card...
"Z77X-UP5 TH" Is it really better than the one listed above...

I'm not able to know if it's better using HDMI over TOSLINK ?

Can you give us informations about solution on how to set up this kind of stuff ?

Thanks N

is the TOSLINK you mention that is a optical cable?
if it is a optical cable for audio then is work with motherboard that have optical S/PDIF Out,

This.

Wich will be the best motherboard for TOSLINK support ?

I've got to choose on MB from this two :
"Z77X-UD5H" I've read somme bads comments about sound on this card...
"Z77X-UP5 TH" Is it really better than the one listed above...

Can you give us informations about solution on how to set up this kind of stuff ?

Thanks N

Either board will work. Both have S/PDIF output on the backplate and both have ALC898 codec.

Quality wise, all S/PDIF (e.g. toslink) are equal. It doesn't matter which board you have, as long as it's compatible.

That said, HDMI is better than S/PDIF in a few ways:
1. It caries both video and audio, which is perfect if you want to connect it to a home cinema receiver (and on to an HDTV).
2. It caries multi-channel PCM (uncompressed) sound as well as HD sound (e.g. DTS Master) if you want. S/PDIF "only" allows stereo PCM and multichannel through Dolby Digital and DTS. On the other hand, OS X doesn't support HD sound either as far as I know.

The downside is that HDMI Audio will require some extra fiddling on a Hackingtosh.

In the end it's up to you and how you want to use it. If you only need to get audio out, you should go with toslink. If you want to watch movies, go with HDMI.

I would like to be able to watch movies on my : BenQ SP890 (Two HDMI 1.3 Inputs)
How to connect it ? ampli first ? I'm not afraid of having two cables.
I'm actually using a DVI(male)>HDMI(male) with a minidisplayport from Imac(male)>DVI (female).
sometimes I use my macbook pro DVI external connection but it doesn't work very well anymore... (that's why I want a Hackintosh)

I also would like to be able to play my music from my computer.
Also would like to add an external vinyl player, because I've got some old good LP'S...

I will need to buy a HOME CINEMA THEATER as well because I'm actually using RCA with an old ampli from my grand mother...
And I'm not very happy with it there's too much blow (in the sound)...

So here is my question wich MOBO choosing to make HDMI working easily ? If there is any differences ?

Maybe it will be better playing Bluray on a dedicated windows for having HD sound ?

I'm not very aware of all different possibility as there's is too much options for choosing wich is the best option actually...

Does I need a better graphic card to use HDMI sound & video output ? Like a GTX670 ? I've seen some answer right here. But I don't know if it will work as i will probably use the last BIOS (F14) ?

Thanks

----

PS : How to configure a BIOS for socket 1155 (i7 3770K) for native USB Moutain Lion 10.8.2 suport ? Does I need to update my BIOS for F14 ? IS there a step by step up to date page that I've been missing ? (other than http://unibeast.com/ and http://multibeast.com/)

I do not have personal experience with either.
"Z77X-UD5H" rev. 1.0 has no green port audio in OS X. Rev. 1.1 has working OS X audio
"Z77X-UP5 TH" rev. 1.0 has working OS X audio

Almost every Nvidia 4xx, 5xx, 6xx and AMD HD 5xxx and 6xxx support HDMI audio. No need for a high end card to watch HD movies.

To install audio on Mountain Lion:
1. TOSLINK - MultiBeast 5.2.1 or newer - Select/Drivers & Bootloaders/Drivers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/Without DSDT/ALC898. More info, Mountain Lion: Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC8xx
2. HDMI - HDMI audio dsdt edits plus MultiBeast 5.2.1 or newer - Select/Drivers & Bootloaders/Drivers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/With DSDT/ALC898. More info, Mountain Lion HDMI Audio. Note; the HDMI audio dsdt editing kit performs the required edits automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back