CPU
i7-8770K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I'm thinking about installing Windows 7 on my secondary IDE drive, since I really don't like the idea of having to start my whole computer over by partitioning my main Snow Leopard drive. (Besides, why would I want to potentially tarnish my already beautifully working system by putting it on the same drive anyway?)

Moving on, I'm just wondering what's considered to be the best method of installing Windows 7 on a second drive, and what I need to do to get that accomplished. If it's truly recommended that the OSs be on the same drive, I'm not closed off to the idea.

Thanks.

Is there a good, valid reason for doing it that way? It just seems so unnecessary....especially since I'm not going to use 7 much at all.

Vasiliovich said:
Is there a good, valid reason for doing it that way? It just seems so unnecessary....especially since I'm not going to use 7 much at all.

Windows likes to mess with the Boot record on your drives, and if you unplug your Mac drive, it can't. At least I believe that's the reason.

As it turns out, putting 7 on the same drive as SL has become out of the question.

So if someone could give me some instruction on how to do install it on my other drive, that'd be great.

I had tried installing SL onto my IDE drive but it went funky, so I installed it onto my SATA and win7 onto my IDE. I first installed SL, then installed Win 7, both plugged in while installing. I would advise to unplug the SL drive while installing win7 and make your first boot priority the SL drive. I hope this helps you and goodluck!

Sounds like you've done exactly what I need to do...and we even have the same motherboard to boot!

Care to be a little bit more explicate with some instructions on how to do what you did?

Well if you already have SL installed, go ahead and put in your Win 7 CD and install it to your IDE HD. After everything is installed go into your BIOS and set your hard disk priority 1: SL HD, 2: Win 7 HD. Go into SL and use multibeast to install the correct drivers for your sound, video, download from here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... oards.html
The correct DSDT and rename it to DSDT.aml. In multibeast Check "userdsdt" "System Utilities" and "OSx86 Software" under "Advanced Options". If that all works then go back into multibeast and select the right audio, video, network kexts and anything else you may see necessary. Just play around with it and experiment, may learn a thing or two more :D
Hope this helps!

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, how do I install Windows 7? Do I have to use boot camp or anything like that? Or do I just do it from BIOS? (Which I have no idea how to do)

And what format should the HD be?

Also, for purposes of simplicity, I think I'm going to put Win7 on a third SATA drive, and leave my IDE alone.

Yes, put win 7 on a different HD. You need your WIn 7 installation CD. Put it into your DVD drive and as your computer is booting up, hit F12, I think, which is the boot menu. Boot to the DVD drive and go from there for installing Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back