Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > need model # > See Rules!
CPU
E3-1230 v4
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Hi everyone,

I m planning to build a new Hackintosh. Is there any MB recommendation for i9-10980xe build?
In case, I'm wondering is there any success case with the lastest X299 build ?

Thank you all.

For my i9-10940X build I decided for the ASUS Prime X299-A II, which is one of the cheaper variants but got all I want. The more expensive options would be the ASUS Deluxe II and the ASUS Sage 10G.

But I haven't tested this by myself, still configuring my build. Maybe try asking your question in this super active thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-x299-support.276179/page-233

I have a 10980xe running on the ASUS Prime Deluxe II board. Everything works, just don't update the BIOS past 0802.

X299 refresh boards like the Gigabyte X299X boards do no work without modifying the BIOS.

Last edited:
I have a 10980xe running on the ASUS Prime Deluxe II board. Everything works, just don't update the BIOS past 0802.

X299 refresh boards like the Gigabyte X299X boards do no work without modifying the BIOS.
opps asked the wrong person, I just ordered this board, would you mind sharing your EFI and bios settings please?

@holmstockd So you got a Deluxe II? If you need an EFI for A II check out this post, that worked for me with the EFI I posted there some posts before.

I got my i9-10980XE build up and running the weekend before last. Built on an MSI x299-A-PRO, and 128Gb DDR4 3200 RAM - configured as an iMac Pro 1,1.

I've just blown a wad on an i9-10980xe to upgrade from my i9-9900x on an Asus Prime Deluxe II, and it hasn't been as easy a transition as I had hoped. I only get reliable operation when I hit the CLR_CMOS button and run on the factory default BIOS settings (except for the MSR setting). I'm using DDR4-3600 CL 17 memory (128 GB). Other than the CPU, my system is the same as my once-happy OC'd i9-9900x. My BIOS is 0802. When malfunctioning, I get a SIGSEGV violation at random in some of my test code, and sometimes a total freeze-up. I thought it might be overheating, but nope!

Any tricks in getting your i9-10980xe to work properly?

Last edited:
It now seems to work perfectly. My guess now is that it might have been an overheating problem after all. I reapplied the thermal compound to my liquid cooler, tweaked a minimal set of BIOS settings (first, just the MSR and then the XMP profile), and all seems well. I can now do terrible things to the processor. Had all 36 threads humming away in repeated tests. (It does warm the room up quite a bit!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back