Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was originally planning on building an mATX system. But I really want Thunderbolt, so I'm now thinking about doing an ATX build instead.

Because of this, I am now looking for a nice ATX case, preferrably silver or white. Does anyone have a suggestion? I don't want something that looks like a teenager's computer :)

Case selection depends on more than just looks. You also have to think about the hardware you are putting inside and if there will be enough room, adequate cooling, build quality etc. I recently purchased a Case Labs Mercury S5 for an mATX build. The quality is beyond anything else you are going to find out there. They are a bit spendy (what I ordered was $389), but it was completely worth it.

Lian-Li cases also look very nice and have high build quality. I had one before I purchased the Case Labs and used it for many, many years.

Maybe if you gave us a list of hardware you are putting inside, you might get a better recommendation for exactly what you are looking for. Do you plan on water cooling or using a large air cooling unit for example. How many hard drives do you plan on having? Will you be using an optical drive?

I know what you mean about most cases looking like they are for teens. Some of the designs out there are pretty hideous or way over the top with things that they assume consumers in that age group will look cool.

Everyone's opinion of what makes for a good looking case is going to be
very different. From what you've said, I'd estimate that you don't want
lots of cheap plastic and led lights that make it look like a carnival show.

My # one choice if $ were no object would be the Case labs Merlin SM8.
For a larger ATX case I always prefer black over white. I did a small
mini-itx white prodigy build that looked nice though.

merlinsm8.jpg

As Rakuun said these are not just good looking they are incredibly well designed and
functional in all the important areas like air flow cable mgt. etc.

It can be customized in many ways and there is an all white version if you prefer
that. It would probably be the last case you'd ever buy. If you can't budget this in
go for one of the Fractal Design R4 cases.

I was originally planning on building an mATX system. But I really want Thunderbolt, so I'm now thinking about doing an ATX build instead.

Because of this, I am now looking for a nice ATX case, preferrably silver or white. Does anyone have a suggestion? I don't want something that looks like a teenager's computer :)

I don't know if either of these are what your looking for but these are the ones we have used on our last builds.

Corsair 600T in white - http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC600TWM-WHT-Special-Graphite-Computer/dp/B004O0PAKW/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1410590295&sr=1-4&keywords=corsair+650d

Cooler Master Cosmos SE - http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Cosmos-SE-Computer/dp/B00GN5IKBW/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410590344&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=cosmsos+se

Those are quiet and have meet all of our needs. Good luck either way.

Thanks for the suggestions! Those Case Labs cases look really nice!

Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139042

11-139-042-TS_004.jpg

fp.jpg

I also agree with DrEskimo "Fractal Design Define R4. Clean, simple aesthetics and very practical. Also has installed sound insulation."

It has sound insulation which is a very nice feature which most others lack - I wish I had purchased the R4 instead of Corsair 600T. Great case.

also trs96 Case labs Merlin SM8, very nice as well I wasnt aware of it before his post.

So many choices! Although from an audio workstation standpoint Id go with Fractal Design R4.

Aesthetics is 100% subjective but if you prefer a more minimalist aesthetic then checkout Fractal Design and NZXT. Specific models include the NZXT H440, NZXT S350, NZXT H640, Fractal Design R4 and Fractal Design XL 2. That covers $70 to $200 or so.

The suggestion of Case Labs is a great one as they really make the best cases in the business. No exceptions. The reason being every case is built-to-order and 100% high-grade Aluminum. They're extremely customizable and designed with modding in mind. I've had my eye on a Merlin SM8 for a while, trying to decide if I'm going to go water-cooled for my next build or not.

However these are just general recommendations. Which case is actually the best one for you depends on what you want to build.

For example, if you want to build something that's very powerful, air powered and a silent build, the R4 and H640 are the best pre-fabs for you. If you want a powerful, small rig with a window the S350 would be ideal. It all depends on what you plan on doing with this thing and what you plan on putting into it.

Of course, Case Labs has what you want regardless because you can choose, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back