Contribute
Register

Best i3/i5 Hackintosh Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
neuroman said:
But would that be the same as a hp probook? And it would even very by model I would think.

HP EliteBook-series is not built on the same chipset as HP ProBook and MBP8,x (HM65). And yes, BT/WiFi/etc. stuff varies greatly even within the same HP model.

Concerning HD graphics, 6G (HD3000 built in Sandy Bridge) is quite good and fully supported by SL/Lion. While Intel alone is OK, double-chip solution (Intel + ATI or Intel + nVidia) might be a pain.

AFAIK some of EliteBooks were certified for SuSE Linux Enterprise. In case you have to modify DSDT, you might try to patch a conditional statement inside _INI section -- _OSI ("Linux") -- replace it with _OSI ("Darwin"):
Code:
If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
}

It could help.

Good luck anyway.

blueking said:
How would I find out about the BIOS?

By "poorly compartible BIOS" I mean that one may not be able to use "DSDT free" solution. Messing with DSDT is not so boring, if you have enough time to learn amazing stuff, not applicable to anything else 8)

The real problem is, that laptop owners are not as welcomed here as PC owners. So patience might save your time and money. Or make sure you have a refund option :)

I'm mad at Steve Jobs for not supporting my MacBook Pro Core Duo system in Lion. I came here looking for decent laptops that I could make into a Hackintosh. Instead, I see systems with sub-standard screens (since when did 768 vertical pixels on a 15-inch display become adequate?) and crappy cases.

Doesn't ANY computer manufacturer have hardware up to Apple's standards? Attractive cases, great Apple-quality screens, nice keyboards, and decent prices (I don't mind paying Apple prices for Apple-quality hardware, but as I said above, I'm mad at Steve Jobs).

I have two Hackintoshes: A Core i7-860 desktop running Lion and a Dell Mini 9 running Snow Leopard. I know how to do this, but I am looking for sexy, Apple-quality hardware.

icoder said:
IMHO it is important to make sure, that your model includes HM65 chipset and Intel HD3000 graphics only (no ATI, no nVidia).

If you need Bluetooth/WiFi, try to find a model with Broadcom chip(s).

Lenovo THINKPAD L520 (Core i3 2310M 2100 Mhz/15.6"/1600x900/2048Mb/320Gb/DVD-RW/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/DOS) appeared to be quite good for Mac OS. BT is fully functional (Broadcom), WiFi is not (Centrino). If you are on budget, but want higher specs, buy the simplest/cheapest model and upgrade memory / HDD yourself.

I'm planning to buy it. An important detail is network. So, WiFi doesn't work yet. What about wired ethernet lan? Is it Intel 8257xx and does it work?
Thanks.

FYI, for anyone who is reading this, I went with the Probook 4530s and am very happy with it. There is a link in my sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back