Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Hello guys! I just needed a help in choosing the best model of HP ProBook for OSX, still having second thoughts whether to buy a laptop like HP ProBook or just build a desktop for hackintosh. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hello guys! I just needed a help in choosing the best model of HP ProBook for OSX, still having second thoughts whether to buy a laptop like HP ProBook or just build a desktop for hackintosh. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

All following laptops can work fully with the guide:

- Probook: 4x40s
- Elitebook: 8x70p, 2x70p

It all depends on your budget, you will get better hardware with Probook for the same price. Elitebook is more expensive because of its build quality.

Note that the ATI graphic card won't work in OS X, but you can use HD4000 instead.

Thanks alot! What about the latest EliteBooks or ProBooks? Will these be hackable to OSX? And one more thing, does OSX Mavericks when properly installed will fully work on HP EliteBook 8470p?

I just built a 8470p

some minor issues

make sure you select -x and IGPEnabler=no

also you need to replace the wifi card look on the buyers guide for one it will fit.

I had problems with wifi... took me a while to get it working... not even sure what it was.. I think I disabled bluetooth.

camera on mine does not work with apple apps... I can use it with some third party apps though.. not sure what the issues is there yet.. .

i can recommend the 4x30s, the 4230s is a 12.1 inch laptop, and its been good and does the job fine, even video stuff, just a bit slower with the stock i3, which can be swapped with the i7. the only thing i don't like about it is the noisy fan in a quiet room when you are running apps that really give the cpu a work out, else you won't notice the fan noise if you are in the kitchen or lounge, or office or cafe etc.

it's probably the lowest cost entry model in the 12.1 inch form factor for probooks, either new or not new. the smaller the laptop usually the higher the cost, so maybe you can consider getting a real macbook instead if the cost is similar for either new or not new macbook.

I just built a 8470p

some minor issues

make sure you select -x and IGPEnabler=no

also you need to replace the wifi card look on the buyers guide for one it will fit.

I had problems with wifi... took me a while to get it working... not even sure what it was.. I think I disabled bluetooth.

camera on mine does not work with apple apps... I can use it with some third party apps though.. not sure what the issues is there yet.. .

Whilst having the same laptop 8470p, Ive had a somewhat different experience.

Yes, I had to replace the wifi card, but I knew that beforehand, so ordered one read to go in asap.
I installed using clover, which, in my opinion is far better than chameleon, and makes use of the laptops UEFI boot, completely "standard" install following the clover guide, couldn't of been simpler.
Camera works on every app without issue, in fact, everything works as it should that I use, the only things not tested, as I don't care are the VGA port, and card reader.

so +1 for the elite book here (if you don't mind the smaller screen, and lack of numpad)

edit*

money wise, I picked up my elite book 8470p with over two years HP warranty remaining, in mint condition, for a little over £300..

Whilst having the same laptop 8470p, Ive had a somewhat different experience.

Yes, I had to replace the wifi card, but I knew that beforehand, so ordered one read to go in asap.
I installed using clover, which, in my opinion is far better than chameleon, and makes use of the laptops UEFI boot, completely "standard" install following the clover guide, couldn't of been simpler.
Camera works on every app without issue, in fact, everything works as it should that I use, the only things not tested, as I don't care are the VGA port, and card reader.

so +1 for the elite book here (if you don't mind the smaller screen, and lack of numpad)

edit*

money wise, I picked up my elite book 8470p with over two years HP warranty remaining, in mint condition, for a little over £300..

yes I also replace the wifi card.. not sure exactly what the issue is had it again after rebooting a few times then out of the blue on the third boot it worked fin...

camera seems to be hit or miss.. there are a few threads on this... but otherwise a very easy install using probook installer.

clover is another good resource needed it for another project and it works wonderful, along with good support and plenty of good guides.

I've done installs on two ProBook 6360bs now, and the only thing that doesn't work is WiFi (£11 for a new card, delivered) and VGA (waiting to get a DP cable to see if that works).

Best part is that an ex-business unit cost me £204.

I've done installs on two ProBook 6360bs now, and the only thing that doesn't work is WiFi (£11 for a new card, delivered) and VGA (waiting to get a DP cable to see if that works).

Best part is that an ex-business unit cost me £204.

DP cable works fine on my elite book :)

There is a good chance I might migrate over to the elitebook simply because it has an expresscard slot.

Egpu without having to tap into the mini pcmcia port in the bottom of the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back