Contribute
Register

Best Hackintosh for Da Vinci Resolve ? (and other Cuda based Video applications)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Answering my own question here... X79 based mobo can't seem to support Thunderbolt at the moment since they don't have an integrated graphic card... That's a downer! :(

I was facing the same question. Z77 with i7 3770k or X79 with i7 3930k. I went for the Gigabyte Z77-UP5 Thunderbolt mainboard with the 3770k - and judging from my usage right now it was the wrong decission :banghead:. I am using the hackintosh mostly for editing video material in Final Cut Pro X and Motion 5 where you just can't have enough CPU power. If I had the money, I would go for a 16 core MacPro, but since this is just a hobby of mine and no profession, I am not willing to spend that much money.

I don't know DaVinci, but if it's a CPU heavy programm with good multi core usage (Final Cut Pro X is absolutely perfect at maxing out your CPU) do yourself a favour, skip Thunderbolt and go for the 3930k. If it relies mostly on your GPU you can safely pick the 3770k.

Davinci is very GPU intensive, it barely uses CPU Power so that won't be a problem. But I do use After effects which is pretty good at maxing out your ram and CPU... so I don't know... I guess I don't really "need" Thunderbolt but it would be very convenient!

I agree with eWoodster...thunderbolt on the Hackintosh is very limited because the ports don't currently support hot-swap. It's been a major disappointment on my Gigabyte UP5 TH. I wish I had gone for an X79 mobo with a 6 core processor. I would have gotten the 3930k.

The new Davinci Resolve 9 DOES use the CPU in a HUGE WAY. The decoding of video files are handled by the CPU, while your GPU handles the node/effects processing. My rendering speed increased 50% from Version 8 to 9...and another 50% from an i7-860 to an i7-3770k (not overclocked). All with the same GTX 470 card.

I went from 20 fps to 60 fps. And now I wish I could get even more!

Also -- with an X79 motherboard with more PCI x16/x8 slots, you can fit in more GPUs (assuming you are using the full version of Resolve).

Which Black Magic Card are you guys using for monitoring SDI output ? I know the cards work on both PC and Mac.
And has anyone tried networking 2 machines for added speed ?

For monitoring on SDI, I am holding out for the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor ($145) coming this fall from Blackmagic (just announced). Bad news -- it is an end-of-line thunderbolt connection.

I see what you're getting at. The thing is, I'm still a student, not yet a professionnal, so I can't spend too much on that build.

Besides I'm having a hard time justifying a X79 build since I feel the power gain wouldn't be totaly noticeable. Let's face it, I won't have to work on Raw material apart from 2.5K BMCC stuff (if I buy it someday) so one GPU should be sufficient to attain realtime with 5/6 nodes (disk speed is going to be the next limitation...). Spelley, I'm glad to hear that you're acheiving more than 30 fps with the i7 3770K, I plan on Overclocking mine so it should totaly suit my needs.

The Z77 way, beside the thunderbolt (which is also a very handy mini displayport...) has integrated graphics (HD 4000 from 3770k) which can be used for the GUI in resolve and other apps leaving the main GPU to the real work :thumbup: (That is of course if I have access to the Full version of Resolve...)

Here's where my build's at for the moment...

- Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R
- Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
- CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
- CPU Cooling : Corsair Hydro Series H100
- RAM: G.Skill Ares Orange Series DDR3-1600, CL9 - 16GB Kit - x2
- GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Supercloked 3Go
- SSD: OCZ 128Go Vertex 4 (Mac) + 60Go Agility 3 (Windoze)
- HDD: Seagate 2To Barracuda (will add more later)
- PSU: Antec HCP 850
- WIFI: TP-Link - TL-WDN4800
Other stuff...
- Be Quiet! ShadowWings SW1 120mm PWM
- Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adaptor (I'll use my iMac 27" as my main monitor at first then when I have the money I'll buy an ASUS PA246Q)
- Microsoft Sidewinder X4
- Logitech Mouse M90
What do you guys think?
I have yet to find reliable information on that "CUDA Crippling" of the GTX 6xx versus GTX 5xx... The GTX 580 is almost 100€ more expensive, which is huge for my budget, and less powerfull (on paper) so I would be very glad if one of you could give me some answers on what could be the diffenrence in real life on resolve.
The PSU is plenty for the moment, I took a big one in order to had an other GPU and other stuff later down the road without worrying about overloading it.

so? any thoughts on the parts? :wave:

It all depends on what your use is going to be. I'm currently running a Hackintosh with basically this build, but with faster G.Skill RAM, Samsung 830 SSD, a Decklink HD Extreme 3D+ for SDI output (they just released an updated version that supports 4K output, if I was building now I'd get that), two 3GB GTX580 cards for CUDA processing and a FW800 card. Also a SATA to eSATA bracket for connecting my OWC media and render drives. In Resolve I'm getting real time 25fps playback in a 1080p project with 4K RED RAW footage with Half Debayer Good and about 10fps when rendering out at Full Debayer Premium. With XDCAM EX footage I'm getting around 80-90 fps when rendering out. FCP7 and CS6 apps run nicely as well.

Hello everybody! I'm researching for building my first hackintosh and I'm building it exclusively to run Davinci Resolve with a high performance. I'm from Brazil and I'm going to NY next month to buy a few essential components to build the machine. I've read a lot of posts in this forum and finally put together a build that seems right for my budget. What you think of this shopping list?

- Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5
- GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti
- Processor: I7 3930K
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB
- SDI Output: Decklink Studio
- SSD: SanDIsk Extreme SSD 480 GB

I'm gonna let to buy the rest of things as PSU, case, coolers and adicional HDs in Brazil to travel as light as possible. Am I missing something?! This should work to run Resolve right? I know Resolve uses a GUI exclusive video card. What cheap video card would fit this Mobo for GUI?

Thanks for any help
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back