Register

best graphics cards for 150 bucks?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
XFX ZDFC 6870 model dual fan card.
Works oob.
Just needs GE=Yes.

(But it's more than $150)

thelostswede was referring to the 5 port 6870 graphics card because it is the AMD/ATI Reference Design which all 3rd party cards are based upon.

Apple only supports Reference Design cards natively in OS X. The tonymacx86 Chimera boot loader, which MultiBeast uses by default, has been modified to support other non Reference Design cards, but not every graphics card make/model in the known Universe.

Your best bet is to buy once of the graphics cards listed in the tonymacx86 Recommend Builds (and Components) guide.
Building a Sandy Bridge CustoMac: Buyer's Guide (Nov11)

Famous Olde Coaches Saying, "don't rush to fail." :thumbup:

Is this for a new build ?
i dont see the system your going to put it into in your profile

if its a new build and the only gaming is a wee java based game you wont need much power i would go with a ivybridge motherboard and internal gfx intel hd4000

i think it will be safe enough to assume there will be support for hd4000 very shortly probably around the release of mountain lion and 10.7.5 update (im only guessing dont quote me)

i also will assume that tony will have an new official customac build guide for the release of mountain lion or shortly after, you might be as well wait for a few days if you want to be certain.

choosing a gfx card isnt that difficult just get one of the real popular ones after doing your research

a gt 220 nvidia will sufficient if you need to keep the cost down in an existing system

ivybridge and hd 4000 then so, give it a week or two and build then

you can always upgrade with a gfx card later if you want

0sx86man011 said:
yeah...is there a way to have 2 graphics cards on a hackintosh? ive heard sli'ing doesnt work, but what about the other one?

edit: its SLI'ing

No SLI Doesn't work

dakotar said:
0sx86man011 said:
yeah...is there a way to have 2 graphics cards on a hackintosh? ive heard sli'ing doesnt work, but what about the other one?

edit: its SLI'ing

No SLI Doesn't work
But you can have 2 cards on your hack.You won't have a performance boost,as it happens in Winzoz,they work as separate GPU's,you will only gain more outputs.Oh,and they don't need to be the same (ex. Intel HD 3000 + AMD 6870).

I've already told you in another thread that Gigabyte HD 6850 works OOB, no issues... I own one.

I've also told you about GTX 550Ti issues....

For what you want to do, stick with Gigabyte 6850...

If you used an Nvidia card, in windows you could atleast have a dedicated PhysX card (the non main GPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back