Contribute
Register

Best full backup (including bootloader) option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i5-6500
Graphics
Onboard HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all,

I'm still on 10.12, and before I jump over to 10.13, I want to sort out a better backup strategy. I have Backblaze along with some manual backups, and I'm dumping another disk in my server to allow me to Time Machine this hackintosh.

I also have a total of 3 drives in this box, one of which is my boot drive. Is there any easy way to hijack part of either of those other drives for a local "backup" that is bootable and also allows me to continue using those drives as extra storage? I have a second SSD with about 40GB free and a HD with about 800GB free. IIRC, things like "super duper" and "Carbon Copy Cloner", while they can make bootable copies on an actual Mac cannot deal with the alternate boot loader in use (Chameleon).

I think I'd be a bit more brave about major OS updates if it were easier to roll back the OS by selecting another boot drive...

I'm using CCC for a normal boot disk clone and a shell script from this site that copies my EFI partition. This runs automatically after the CCC clone finishes from within the CCC script. Works great. Using Clover, and not Chameleon so YMMV.

Hi all,

I'm still on 10.12, and before I jump over to 10.13, I want to sort out a better backup strategy. I have Backblaze along with some manual backups, and I'm dumping another disk in my server to allow me to Time Machine this hackintosh.

I also have a total of 3 drives in this box, one of which is my boot drive. Is there any easy way to hijack part of either of those other drives for a local "backup" that is bootable and also allows me to continue using those drives as extra storage? I have a second SSD with about 40GB free and a HD with about 800GB free. IIRC, things like "super duper" and "Carbon Copy Cloner", while they can make bootable copies on an actual Mac cannot deal with the alternate boot loader in use (Chameleon).

I think I'd be a bit more brave about major OS updates if it were easier to roll back the OS by selecting another boot drive...
You could try using Acronis 2018 from a booted WinPE drive. Performs a bit by bit clone so it shouldn't matter whether you are using Chameleon or not. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...able-clone-of-your-macos-system-drive.254705/

I'm using CCC for a normal boot disk clone and a shell script from this site that copies my EFI partition. This runs automatically after the CCC clone finishes from within the CCC script. Works great. Using Clover, and not Chameleon so YMMV.

Sorry all - for whatever reason email from this site never makes it to my mailbox (yes, checked spam).

Anyhow, can you post that script, either as an attachment or just pasted into a "code" block? This sounds interesting and I do have a CCC license for my laptops. These days, is everything for booting basically in the EFI petition? If I have a "legacy" BIOS machine, are there still some boot blocks that have to exist outside the EFI partition? TBH, I don't fully understand the full boot process.

Also I typo'd - I'm using clover, not chameleon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back