Contribute
Register

Best Firewire 800 PCI (Not PCI Express) card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the lack of PCI Express ports on Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3 motherboard I want to use the old PCI ports for Firewire 800 card. The PCI bus support in theory 133MiB/s (1064Mbit/s?) and Firewire 800 Mbit/s (100MiB/s) to the PCI bus will not limit Firewire 800 speed. Right?

I have found a card called DeLock 89106, http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 89106.html , that says it works in Mac OS X.

Is this a good card to use or is their any better card out there?

I now have this card and here is a very short review.
--------
It worked out of the box. Did not need to install anything at all.

I did some tests. I had one big file at almost 7GB and copied from a external Firewire drive to system drive.
DeLock 89106, Firewire 400: 29,5 MiB/s
DeLock 89106, Firewire 800: 47 MiB/s
Firewire 400, integrated*: 35,3 MiB/s

This card isn't for anyone that want speed but just want more Firewire ports, one 400 and two 800, but don't care about speed.

If you have one Firewire 800 hard drive and a Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3 motherborad or similar with integrated 400 port this card isn't worth the money.

* Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3 rev2

Thanks for the post, I'm in search of a PCI FW800 card myself, so this helps.

Also, I'm looking for a eSATA card as well since my mobo doesn't have integrated support (don't know how I overlooked that when purchasing!).

-RB

Nice to hear that I have helped someone.

Instead of a extra card, get a SATA to eSATA bracket that makes internal SATA ports external?

The system the card is mounted in: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13058

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back