Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z270-A
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
R9 280X
Hi,

The Context:
I run an HP z800 workstation with Dual Xeon x5670 6-core processors @2.93GHz and 48GB ECC Registered DDR3 1333 RAM installed (12 x 4GB sticks) etc, etc.. because I run big Pro Tools HD recording sessions and the workstation style system helps with that.

Anyway, my installs on this system run decently for the most part, but I have never had particularly smooth graphical respsonse in Pro Tools as up to this point I have just been using the nVidia Quadro FX380 that came with the workstation and is quite underwhelming/pretty much junk.

So Far:
1) A few weeks back I decided to deal with this by throwing in a better graphics card, and after trying unsuccessfully to use an msi GTX 750 that I already had lying around, I discovered that it is definitively NOT supported by the older OS versions that I require (10.8.5 and 10.9.5).

2) After doing a bit of research and based on this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/ I picked up an R9 270X which seemed like it would be a decent upgrade and was listed as being natively supported in 10.8.3 or above... and then determined that it definitely IS NOT natively supported (its device ID is not in ATI7000Controller.kext by default in 10.8.5) despite what the thread seems to indicate.

3) I preceded to attempt all of the various fixes for running R9 270X cards but with absolutely no success.

4) After 2+ weeks of fighting with startup gibberish, boot flags, DSDT injection, kext modifications, sleep/wake garbage and everything google & several threads/forums had to offer... all I can say at this point is...well, I'm very, very frustrated!

5)At this point I would just like to undo all of the ridiculous crap that I've done to my system in my innumerable attempts at making this stupid ATI card work and get something that is actually natively supported without any modifications or special drivers or anything.

The Question:
I would really really appreciate it if I could be pointed toward whichever graphics card(s) would be the best performing option(s) for me and would:

a) be completely and natively supported by 10.8.5 (and presumably 10.9.5) without any modification to drivers or anything.
b) work with my dual displays without issue (right now i'm using two analog DVI/VGA signals over a 12~15' cable run, but I'm sure I can make HDMI or whatever work if necessary since cables and converters are relatively simple compared to the b.s. I've had to deal with over these last few weeks).
c) Is the GTX 680 natively supported by 10.8.5? Would that be the best option?
d)???

I have been very frustrated over these last weeks and man do I need an end point.
Thanks in advance.
-Strings

Last edited:
Did you see my reply in the other thread? http://tonymacx86.com/threads/radeo...md-graphics-cards.171291/page-48#post-1299082
I'm pretty damn sure that I had a HD 7870 running in 10.8 some time ago (your R9 270X is essentially the same), so there's a chance that your local installation is somehow damaged.

Kepler-based GPUs up to GTX 780 (3GB) are supported in 10.8.5, a GTX 680 should be perfectly fine.

Hey, late response on my part, but thanks for the reply.
I ended up grabbing an EVGA GTX 680 which appears to have solved the issues I was having getting to the desktop without boot modifiers.

With this card installed I am now left to figure out how to get my second display to show anything (right now it's just blank/black), but I figure that would be better suited to a new topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back