Contribute
Register

best bluetooth module model for hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After posting on page 1 the link to all the BT receivers that work well with Apple wireless devices, I went to my local Best Buy to get a quick BT dongle so I could use my new trackpad today rather than wait for shipping online.

I can confirm the Rocketfish (best buy inhouse brand I believe) BT dongle does work perfectly with the Magic Trackpad. I assume the reason this works compared to my old cheapo chinese adapter is because of the BT 2.1 EDR "Enhanced Data Rate". Which makes sense, as the cheapo probably didn't have EDR, and therefore too much data was coming through and overwhelming the dongle, forcing a shutdown (my theory).

Additionally, since my desktop hackintosh crashes during sleep-mode anyway, I couldn't test the Rocketfish during sleep mode.

Re: Here is a list of the tested BT dongles

timbck2 said:
I have the IOGear GBU421 and it works perfectly with my Magic Mouse. However, I did have to install an extra kext to get wake from sleep working properly.

Could you please link to the extra kext? I think I'll get this one! Thanks timbck2!

Just bought from Amazon China, Ostran OST-109 V2.1. 59RMB=9$

My mouse and keyboard working perfectly. I just plug it and it recognize it without any problems.

I can't test if its wake from sleep, because I'm using Ivy Bridge, my system can't sleep for the moment.

Has anyone else had luck with any of these devices on ML? I just want to be sure something is working before I start buying stuff.
I'm only looking at external USB devices.

Thanks

Has anyone else had luck with any of these devices on ML? I just want to be sure something is working before I start buying stuff.
I'm only looking at external USB devices.

Thanks

The IOGear GBU-521 has worked well for me in Mtn.Lion. It's available on Amazon for around 12 dollars US.
Works natively, no other kexts or software needed.

The IOGear GBU-521 has worked well for me in Mtn.Lion. It's available on Amazon for around 12 dollars US.
Works natively, no other kexts or software needed.

I can verify this - I use the IOGear GBU521 with my Magic Mouse; works OOB, no kext modifications necessary. I'll also add that anyone using a Magic Mouse (or Magic Trackpad) should get MagicPrefs (available free from http://magicprefs.com/) for full control over clicks, gestures, and scrolling.

Just got a Belkin F8T016ng. This work out of the box with 10.7.4. I can wake my hackintosh when screen is off by pressing the mouse button.
Also keyboard is working in chameleon bootloader, so maybe it works in bios as well (didn't tested).
I have magic mouse and keyboard.

Only thing is that I feel the mouse lag sometime, but that maybe because i'm 1meter away from it...

PS: I have a GBU521 in spare if someone look for one in France / Belgium :) (PM Me)

Just got a Belkin F8T016ng. This work out of the box with 10.7.4. I can wake my hackintosh when screen is off by pressing the mouse button.
Also keyboard is working in chameleon bootloader, so maybe it works in bios as well (didn't tested).
I have magic mouse and keyboard.

Only thing is that I feel the mouse lag sometime, but that maybe because i'm 1meter away from it...

PS: I have a GBU521 in spare if someone look for one in France / Belgium :) (PM Me)

bmigette -

Did you find the F8T016ng better than the GBU521? Since you have both, just curious why you chose to stick with the F8T106ng over the GBU521.

I am in the process of researching all the parts for my build, and trying to decide between these 2 BT adapters.

Thanks,
-wil

P.S. I tried to PM you about the spare GBU521 you have, but received the following "bmigette has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages".

Hi there,

you wrote that you have a spare GBU521. And you wrote "France/Belgium", so i assume you are in europe.

Could you tell where you bought it in europe? I desperatly trying to find one of these in germany, but no luck so far.

I would even buy it from you if your price is reasonbly.

thanks have a great day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back