Contribute
Register

Best Bluetooth Adapter for Mountain Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi CCD, when you say it works, does it wake your hack from sleep? Does it recognize device as soon as it wake?

Yes it does recognize it takes a few seconds though.

Just plugged this in and it does not work. Neither does my USB3.0 slots, I simply could have something going wrong with all my USB inputs (although my logitech USB adaptor has the keyboard working).

UDPATE: this works, you just need to connect the bluetooth peripheral again. In my case it was a trackpad. it is now fully functional.

Today I was at an Officeworks store (you can guess what business they're in) and saw two Targus USB Bluetooth adapters on the shelf. One of them was:
  • Bluetooth 2.1
  • Described on the package as Mac-compatible.
  • In the catalog (although it was black, not blue).
  • AU$30
The other was:
  • "Bluetooth 4.0 Dual-mode Micro USB Adaptor"
  • Described as "PC/Ultrabook compatible", but no comment about Macs.
  • Not in their catalog, and no price listed on the shelf. Scanning it with their iPhone app didn't bring anything up either. However, at the checkout it came up at $23.
Note that Officeworks is not a bargain-basement place to buy computer bits. :)

Anyway to cut the story short, the BT4.0 Targus adapter has a model number of ACB75, and works perfectly with Mountain Lion. I tried searching for it here but found no mention. It shows up on the USB tree as a Broadcom BCM20702A0. Don't bother asking me if sleep works, as sleep on my machine is disabled by the Server and EyeTV apps.

I bought the IOGear, as recommended in this thread and in the buyers' guide. It seems to work fine as long as I'm just doing sound output, modulo a little bit of flakiness that seems to happen with a Macbook Air as well.

On the other hand, if I try to use sound input from my headset, everything fails. No sound in or out (except some infrequent random ticking sounds). This same headset does work properly with two different macbook airs.

Anyone know what might be happening here?

MB: GA-Z77-DS3H, 10.8.3, builtin HD4000.

BTW, speaking of headsets, let me NOT recommend the "Connectland". Works fine with decent sound quality, EXCEPT there's a >.5s delay on sound output. No problem if you're listening to music, but unbearable for video, and bad for phone calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back