HD6850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi
When my G5 Case arrived i was pretty upset. The stand was bent :( Not much, but it is disturbing. After googleing a while i found many others with the same problem but no one solved it. Do yu have some smart ideas how I will be able to repair it? Maybe a clemp and hot air (a few 100°)?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you want to do it correctly, you have to remove everything from the frame and straighten it using wood and rubber/plastic hammer. If you want to try a quick fix, you have to straighten where the handle was bent as much as possible then JB weld where it has separated. When you clamp it, use a piece of flat aluminum to put even pressure on the area. If possible, use a large plastic-jawed c-clamp. Aluminum doesn't do well if you try to heat it to straighten..also the finish would look very crappy if you did manage to get it hot enough.

Also what about to use a car jack? Or something similar?

From the looks of it, I recall a discussion from Eelhead saying that it just snapped out of the screw that holds it in place, and all you have to do is re-screw it. I can't seem to find that thread, but if you PM Eelhead, I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

You can pull the whole case apart and easily bend it back into place by hand. The aluminum is soft and easy to work with, I straightened one out by hand that was worse.

Only thing is what happens is that the threaded set side get pulled out of the case with the screw still in it. It's like a nut that is pressed into the case and if the stand gets hit hard enough the screw pulls out that threaded nut. Once they pop out there isn't anything you can use to glue them back in.

I glued several of them back in with JBweld but it did not hold. It popped apart very easy with little pressure. So with my case I have put it off for now until I figure something cool
out.

For your case though it seems as there might be only a couple of them pulled out. If you pull your whole case apart without scratching it up then you can by hand push that stand in. It should be ok with no screws there as long as you don't slam the case down or what not.

Thanks for your help!
First i will try to remove the Case and look if I can find the screw. AT least I'm shure I'll be able to bend it back in place but as maoule mentioned without heat. If that doesn't help I'm gonna glew it while a clamp relieves the tension. And If anything goes wrong I have a second Case which I actually planed to sell because it's a late2005 Case. But Maybe I will be able combine them in any way...
We will see...and I will let you know what happened ;)

My guess is the outer aluminium frame is the same on the 2005 case so might be able to swap them over ... or remove the outer legs completely.

I've seen someone do that and it looked quite nice -- can't quite remember who it was though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back